Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding email account with high sierra

Has anyone had problems adding a gmail account to your mail application? I'm using Sierra 10.13.6 and due to age of iMac, can't upgrade to Catalina.

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 10:31 AM

The screenshot shows that Yahoo accounts are working, but what does it show for your Gmail accounts that you are having issues with? If the Gmail accounts are red, you can get more detailed information by showing the logs and clicking on the Show Detail button.

This posting from another site doesn't apply specifically to your version of macOS, however it does provide some workarounds that may be worth trying since you've already done much of the troubleshooting that I would have tried if it were my own system.

https://macreports.com/mac-mail-app-gmail-g-suite-not-working-fix/

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 10:31 AM in response to rcb4690

The screenshot shows that Yahoo accounts are working, but what does it show for your Gmail accounts that you are having issues with? If the Gmail accounts are red, you can get more detailed information by showing the logs and clicking on the Show Detail button.

This posting from another site doesn't apply specifically to your version of macOS, however it does provide some workarounds that may be worth trying since you've already done much of the troubleshooting that I would have tried if it were my own system.

https://macreports.com/mac-mail-app-gmail-g-suite-not-working-fix/

Oct 30, 2019 9:31 AM in response to rcb4690

Back in the day when I was running High Sierra I had no issues using multiple Gmail accounts in the Mail app.

What types of problems are you experiencing?

If you haven't already done so, try using the Mail application's Connection Doctor feature to document what type of issue you are experiencing (e.g. authentication). This Apple article provides information about Connection Doctor.

Use Mail Connection Doctor - Apple Support

The Gmail community forum is also a good source of information.

https://support.google.com/mail/community?hl=en

Oct 30, 2019 10:06 AM in response to ProbsRus

I can log into these 2 accounts directly from gmail.com.

I did turn off 2-step verification and I'm still unable to set up the accts.

I tried connection doctor and it shows my yahoo accts behaving normally. Here is a screen shot showing the dialog box after the "gear" makes a brief appearance.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Oct 30, 2019 9:40 AM in response to ProbsRus

I had 2 gmail accounts working properly and about 2 weeks ago they both were unable to connect to the server. I had no issues with these accounts on my mac book pro, just had problems with them on my iMac.

Today I deleted the accounts and tried to add them back using the systems preferences tool. Everything seem great, I got a 2nd user verification code and entered that. After hitting Done, the "gear" icon appeared for less than a second indicating the account was being added. However, the screen did not change and the only way out of it was to hit Cancel.

I tried removing some of the options, like "notes" or "contacts" to see if that would restart the sequence and the same event occurred.

Oct 30, 2019 11:10 AM in response to rcb4690

I had one other idea which may be worth trying. My assumption is that when setting up the Gmail account in the Mail application you are clicking on the Google option which walks you through the setup process. Instead of doing that, try clicking on the 'Other Mail Account' option and then manually set up your Gmail account using the IMAP and SMTOP server settings provided by Google in this article:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Eventually you'll flip over enough rocks to solve this issue.

adding email account with high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.