Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPod Pro Ear Tip Fit test not working...Not the only one

Went to exchange them and 2 other customers were doing the same. Running 13.2. The demo vs they had worked fine

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 12:37 AM

Ear tip test for me got passes on both ears straight away and multiple times with both medium and large tips on first couple days. Since then, the left consistently fails the test when I check despite the left bud being just as sealed as the right one with identical sound as the right whether ANC/transparency/off selected. Medium and large tips have same result; Left fails the tip test every time. Tried un-pairing from iPhone, resetting the pods the setting up again, but no different.

My thoughts are a glitch in the code for the ear tip test that goes wrong after a few days and a future release will solve.

Contacted Apple Support yesterday who had agreed they have seen reports of this already. They got me to send them a full set of logs from iPhone for analysis then will get back to me.

But very happy with product generally and no problem with function or sound quality.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 12:37 AM in response to GellieG

Ear tip test for me got passes on both ears straight away and multiple times with both medium and large tips on first couple days. Since then, the left consistently fails the test when I check despite the left bud being just as sealed as the right one with identical sound as the right whether ANC/transparency/off selected. Medium and large tips have same result; Left fails the tip test every time. Tried un-pairing from iPhone, resetting the pods the setting up again, but no different.

My thoughts are a glitch in the code for the ear tip test that goes wrong after a few days and a future release will solve.

Contacted Apple Support yesterday who had agreed they have seen reports of this already. They got me to send them a full set of logs from iPhone for analysis then will get back to me.

But very happy with product generally and no problem with function or sound quality.

Nov 26, 2019 12:57 AM in response to GellieG

After exchanging the APpro the second time because: first passing seal-test then after more than one week failing first than both AP I found out:

The bone-conduction is less on the new ones. When I walked to the Apple-Store with the "old" ones I could hear the footfall(sound) like with common inEars. On the way back from the Store with the "new" ones the footfalls where not noticable!

It seams that the internal technic/micros that are responsible to avoid bone-conduction

->An inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for unwanted sound, which is also eliminated with anti-noise.

-> and also the inner adaptation to the geometry of your ear and the fit of the ear tips

tend to fail after some time.

The seal-test may be only an indicator of the truely (hardware)defect.

See the whole discussion here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpod-pro-ear-tip-fit-test-not-working-not-the-only-one.2208392/page-5?post=28016056#post-28016056

Dec 3, 2019 8:29 AM in response to iOliv

I had a pair within the first day or two, and after some dicey attempts with the Left ear, the seal started to work. Then a couple days later the left failed every single time.

I took them back and bought another pair a week later. Right out of the gate, I was given the Green "Good Seal" message. This lasted for about a week and a half.

Now every single time, regardless if the phone has been restarted, firmware being current, disconnecting and re-pairing the devices, or irrespective of tip size (S, M, L), I get a failure in both ears.

Additionally when the tip test finishes, I can hear a little "pop" in each ear, which I don't hear when the message is given for a good seal.

They're sending a set of new tips, but I've already verified with the two other untouched set of tips (not even 2 weeks old) that this isn't the issue.

Engineering says it's a "false-positive", but there are numerous people in other forums pointing to it being some kind of hardware defect.

Dec 9, 2019 1:09 AM in response to epmadsen

Like I wrote:

The "fit"/seal-test is a good indicator if the inward-facing microphone is working (they are working-out if its sealed). If they are not working = fit-test always failed… (ergo: failing the fit-test suddenly = indicator of problems with this micros).

But the more important "active" function of this micros:

"An inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for unwanted sound, which is also eliminated with anti-noise"

So don`t expect this inward anti-noise (most obvious the noise of bone-conduction if you walk or working-out) functioning if the APpro are failing the "fit"/seal-test. The (outward) ANC is not affected…

... after the second exchange APPro worked well, there is now on one side again a unpleasant dull noise when walking/running: the "pass" test has failed since then. It's like I assumed some time ago:

Apple has apparently found a way to counteract the impact sound on the inward-facing microphone. If that fails, the footfall-sounds (as in usual inEars) again audible, as in my exchanged APpro. The seal test ("passtest" about settings, etc.) is then also negative, so an indication of the defect.

It is clearly a design flaw that affects the (obvious error-prone) inward microphones. Please be aware of it - you hear it on the always negative "Pass" test (under Settings Bluetooth APPro ...) and the "rumbling" noise (so-called footfall/bone conduction) that should be balanced with the "inner ANC" (if they work).

Dec 10, 2019 1:07 AM in response to GellieG

. meanwhile (after a little more than 2 weeks) the other inward micro is also defective: step sound is transferred and the "pass"test fails ... After the second exchange airpods, I assume that it is a design-related error prone, which is common and only not noticeable to those who are accustomed to inEars step sound, Doing little / no sport with the APpro (then the bone-conduction transmission is even more detectible/annoying).

As already described, this can be verified by the "Pass"test, which always indicates a `defective seal` in the case of defective (inwardly directed) microphones that "pick up" for this test . Many people think that it is due to the silicone plugs, but in many cases it will be a hardware defect ...

The more that you try and give Apple feedback, the sooner they will tackle this constructional flaw.

Dec 15, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Tribeca90

…maybe the Apple Engineers have an answer for you – the seal test only is an indicator that something is wrong/defect. The problem is how I described and there are a lot of this experiences in the macrumors-forum of an hardware issue:

The "fit"/seal-test is a good indicator if the inward-facing microphone is working (they are working-out if its sealed). If they are not working = fit-test always failed… (ergo: failing the fit-test suddenly = indicator of problems with this micros).

But the more important "active" function of this micros:

"An inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for unwanted sound, which is also eliminated with anti-noise"

So don`t expect this inward anti-noise (most obvious the noise of bone-conduction if you walk or working-out) functioning if the APpro are failing the "fit"/seal-test. The (outward) ANC is not affected…

Dec 19, 2019 9:20 AM in response to GellieG

I couldn't get a pass on ear tip test and clearly they were not functioning properly to lock out noise. Tried all three tip sizes to no avail. Insult to injury Genius Bar person was abrupt and rude, saying that in spite of test failure, "the product was working" (Durell at the Atlanta Lenox Apple store Genius Bar) I could hear through them but also could hear all nearby background noise. I got a refund, even though it was past the two week limit for returns.

Product needs improvement on fit and, therefore, on performance. From other comments, it may be a hardware problem. What a disappointment.

Dec 22, 2019 3:31 PM in response to ParsiKade

It is very irritating that Durell at the Atlanta Lenox Apple store Genius Bar made no offer to replace ear tips -- . said that if the EarPods conveyed sound, then the EarPods were working and he could do nothing to satisfy my complaint. Then is when I asked for a refund. Now wondering if new ear tips would have worked as meant to!

Dec 27, 2019 1:22 AM in response to GellieG

As some (including myself) have found out from the fail of the inward-NC and the pass test, it is caused by a (rather quick) contamination of the microphone grille directed into the "ear cup".

As a result, the "inward-facing" microphone can no longer trigger the function of the "inner NC" - consequence: the "pass test" fails (sign of the failure) and, above all: bone sound can no longer be "accepted" and compensated by NC. Telephoning is also made difficult by the uncompensated hum of your own voice; typical disadvantages of in-ears that Apple has just overcome with the inward-NC - which is, however, switched off after a while due to clogged micro grids.

A design-related defect - at least not a micro-defect as I initially assumed - that is difficult to remedy:

In use by cleaning with Uhu Patafix (adhesive pads), which are also practical for normal AirPods and supplement by vacuuming/sucking the microphone grill, well ...

In the further development by Apple - difficult, naturally the side facing inwards (especially during sports, sweat, etc.) clogs up slightly. If the grids are too tight, they are clogged faster, partly. solely through moisture. If the grids are too wide, the risk that something will penetrate increases.

At the same time it is advertised that the APpro "can" withstand moisture ...

The inward-facing micro technology and thus the opening is necessary because of the following functions:

• NC of the impact / structure-borne noise when walking, running, sport + hum of your own voice when phoning (and probably also the telephony quality by differentiating your own voice from ambient noise) - what a great idea and

• Measuring the optimal sound quality / adapting in the "listening room" (as with the Homepod, brilliant ...).

Until Apple has implemented this better, it lasts only cleaning and sucking/vacuuming ... - the product alreaday has become more familiar almost intimate to me than I actually like. 

Many will not notice it or because of the acclimatization to impact sound etc. over normal in-ears, many will not notice it or not care ...

Jan 16, 2020 12:09 AM in response to GellieG

Ok, I think I finally figured something out tonight. Like so many others, fit test worked great (both ears) each time... I could use medium (most comfortable) or large. Then, after a certain amount of time, one ear would fail every time no matter what tip I used. Like many here, I blamed it on an initial “stickiness” to the tips that eventually goes away. Why do I think this? Because I’m embarrassed to say I’m on my fourth pair of AirPods Pros. Same thing with each of the first three pairs, then today on day 16 of ownership of my fourth pair... the right started failing every time. Read some of the answers here and realized I wasn’t looking at the black grills that rest against my skin... so tonight I cleaned them, sucked on them vacuum-style as one person noted and then tried. The green “Good Seal” is back... and consistently. Makes sense to me now (finally, after four pairs)... my skin, dirt, oil and all... touch that part. Cleaning it, so far, seems to have been the trick.

Jan 22, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Tribeca90

One day after cleaning out the insides of the ear tips and the fit test working, its not working again. I can’t believe that much gunk got in there in one day. I also dont understand if having pristine ear tips effects the seal or just how the fit test functions. I dont notice any difference in sound or ANC whether the fit test works or not. But, it would be nice if it was consistently working as designed.

AirPod Pro Ear Tip Fit test not working...Not the only one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.