Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Rear Camera Glass (Bottom Lens)

I just bought an iPhone 11 on Sunday night. I have owned this phone for about 2.5 days. I traded in my Pixel 3 XL because I thought I would give Apple a shot since google would only offer me $260 for a trade-in for the new Pixel 4 whereas Apple gave me $300.

This morning while in class I noticed a small white smudge on my rear camera lens (bottom camera lens). I have had a MaxBoost mWallet Case on my iPhone since the day of purchase. The white smudge on the bottom rear camera lens ended up being a small fracture. There is no other damage to the phone. Not even around the rim of the camera lens. I contacted Apple Support and they said it cracked due to the magnet/metal plate in the phone case. I have been repairing iPhones for 3+ years and have never heard of magnets shattering glass. I also have never dropped this phone and when placed in my pockets it remains separate from anything else in my pockets such as keys or my wallet. Here are the screenshots of my conversation with the Apple Technician.

https://imgur.com/a/hJo2NWM

I have been researching this as best as I could and couldn't find anything related but I came across this

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/23/iphone-11-drop-tests/

Even an 11-foot drop test the only thing that was damaged was the Rear Camera itself - no glass damage.

I took it to the Apple Store near me and they agreed they were not sure how it cracked but they said the only option was to pay $399. $399 for the REAR CAMERA GLASS?! They then said I could purchase AppleCare+ for $149 + $99 for a new device because they do not repair the Rear Camera Glass. Yet, if you have a broken display & AppleCare+ a replacement is $29 plus tax. So a $0.10 cent piece of glass is more expensive than an iPhone 11 display?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 5:18 PM

8 replies

Oct 30, 2019 6:24 PM in response to jonathan_ruel

The rear glass has never been treated the same as the screen so yes, the price was always higher to “repair” (technically, replace). No surprise that the rear camera glass would be treated the same as the rear glass. I assume if you’ve been repairing iPhones for the last 3 years you’ve been aware of the rear glass area not being separately repaired the same way the front is. Also keep in mind that the AppleCare+ price is cheaper solely because of the warranty purchased. Otherwise that $29 screen repair is $199 ($329 for 11 pro max. $279 for 11 pro) if you don’t have AppleCare+. Breakdowns of the iPhone kind of give you an idea why the back isn’t actually repaired on the ones for at least the last few releases. Hate it happened to you. No clue what could have caused it. So far none of the ones in my house have had any issues including the 11 my son is using although I do worry if any of them are going to have damage it will be his (not a fan of his case so I have some concerns....despite the fact that he’s never damaged an iPhone).

I am curious to see what the smudge/fracture actually looks like. Are you able to share a picture of it?

Oct 30, 2019 6:30 PM in response to KaeBFly

This is not the rear glass. It is the rear camera lens.

Actually that is false, they are both are repairable.

I have repaired both rear cameras and chassis's up to the iphone XS.

The rear camera lens cost $0.10 when bought in bulk, $0.99 cents max when buying a single piece of glass.

The chassis is no more than $80 for an original foxconn part. Apple logo and all.

https://imgur.com/a/UZF6f40

Oct 30, 2019 6:52 PM in response to jonathan_ruel

Apple (not referring to 3rd party unauthorized repairers like yourself) does not repair the rear glass and in essence the rear camera lens. They replace the device. If it is cheaper and you feel like you are capable of repairing the lens on your own then that is an option....although you will void your warranty with an unauthorized repair. So the argument is moot as far as how much the parts are for the device versus what Apple charges. Honestly if that was a valid argument none of us would pay the amount that we do pay for these phones because it does not cost remotely close to what we pay when it comes to cost (not counting the cost of research, design, etc). Notice I never said it wasn’t repairable. I said that Apple does not repair. Huge difference. Just because they don’t repair something doesn’t mean that it can’t be. Might have to do with loss of water resistance (many that have had repairs in the past have posted about loss of water resistance after the fact and ending up with water damage when before the repair they didn’t have that problem). Ultimately, as unfortunate as it is your option is to use one of the methods they offered you or if you feel like you can get the parts and do the repair to try your hand at it if the warranty isn’t a concern for you. Or....despite it being visually unappealing....if the fracture hasn’t affected your camera use (not sure if it has) you could try waiting it out. I say this because like you said...you’re not sure how it could have happened and when you took it to the Apple Store (or did the chat....I now realize you never said you took it to be seen) they didn’t seem to know how it could have happened...there may be a small chance that others will experience the same unexplained issue to the point that Apple issues a recall and repair option. No guarantee but it’s happened. Even if you opted to pay to have it taken care of if later a recall is issued you would be able to get a refund as long as you keep your repair receipt. It’s never been cheap to be an Apple owner. So yes, authorized repairs can be a pain. I’ve been lucky enough to have had almost every iPhone since the 4 and not had to repair any of them or had any damage other than when my 4s was damaged in a car accident....and when the screen died on my 7 which was covered under the regular 1 year warranty so it was a free device replacement. But I’m well aware of what prices I face if anything did happen. I didn’t get into the habit of getting AppleCare until my X Max because of the price of the out of warranty repair is needed or screen repair. Haven’t had to use it thankfully and it’s added value to my resell of my device when I’ve opted to do it and it still had the coverage so the buyer had the peace of mind if anything happened they had coverage. Plus after my mom lost her iPhone at a football game I’ve been a huge fan of the Theft and Loss option. Not fun to pay more but it’s a personal call. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Btw...if you didn’t go to an actual Apple Store to have them look at it and only did the chat...consider taking a second try and taking it in if one is available in your area or an authorized Apple Repair Facility like Best Buy is now...might luck up and get a break on swapping it out without the fees. No guarantee but you never know until you try.

Oct 31, 2019 8:15 AM in response to KaeBFly

For what its worth here are the pictures of my iPhone 11 -_-

https://imgur.com/a/y4tqWRs

I have personally repaired over 10,000 iPhones from i6 to XS Max for Facebook, ITRenew, & my own repair business Hard Break EZ Fix. Never have a seen a camera lens shatter/crack without some other sort of damage to the rim of the lens. Maybe I hit it perfectly on my bed or pocket because those are the only places its been in the past 3 days. Yet the drop tests couldn't crack the glass from an 11-foot drop...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this cracked?

iPhone 11 Rear Camera Glass (Bottom Lens)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.