Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect multiple displays to my 2017 Macbook Pro?

I'm using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017)

The technical specifications page says:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP754?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

How can I make this work?

I have tried connecting two low-resolution monitors via a USBC hub with two HDMI outputs. However, the monitors enter "mirroring" mode. There is no "Arrangement" tab that I can use to configure them as separate displays.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 8:46 PM

Thank you both for the advice!

I was able to solve the problem by running each monitor through a separate USB3 port, instead of trying to find a USB3 hub that would allow me to run two monitors through a single port.

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 31, 2019 5:19 PM in response to timwjones

You need a Thunderbolt 3 adapter that supports 2 external displays. At work we have a bunch of 2017 13" Macbook Pros using Thunderbolt 3 adapters to drive 2 external monitors. Most of the people are using 1080p monitors, but one team member has two 28" DELL 4K monitors. I have a 32" DELL 4K monitor and a Samsung 1080p monitor attached to mine.

While note cheap, the Toshiba Thunderbolt 3 dock will provide power to the Mac, multiple USB3 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and it will drive 2 monitors. The first monitor via either an HDMI cable or a DisplayPort cable. The second monitor via an HDMI cable or a mini DisplayPort cable. This is how the guy with the pair of 28" DELL 4K monitor has his system setup.

I'm using a CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock. While it has similar ports to the Toshiba dock, its monitor support is via a DisplayPort (going to my 32" DELL) and a Thunderbolt 3 output, where I have to plug in a Thunderbolt 3 to DVI adapter for my older 1080p Samsung monitor.

Other adapters are things like:

• StarTech Thunderbolt 3 adapter.
  • Elgato
  • Targus
  • Belkin

At work they also give out adapters that drive just one monitor, but we use 2 of them to get dual monitor support.

Some of the adapters we use include gigabit ethernet.

And most of them include 1 USB3 port.

And most of them include a pass-thru power port so you can drive a monitor and still provide power to your Mac.

• Apple's HDMI, USB3 Pass-thru power adapter
  • Tripp Lite HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, USB3, Pass-thru power adapter
  • Tripp Lite DVI, Gigabit Ethernet, USB3, Pass-thru power adapter

How can I connect multiple displays to my 2017 Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.