Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic after upgrade to 10.15.1

Dear all

I was very pleased with Catalina, but yesterday after upgrading to 10.15.1 I continuously get Kernel Panic on my MP6.1.

Sometimes it happens after wake up from sleep, sometimes after safari browsing.

I have two thunderbolt 2 external raid attached.

Please find below the KP log. Can someone help me reading it?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 12:35 AM

91 replies

Jan 31, 2020 6:51 AM in response to ClaudeG77

OK, I think I have a working solution.

After searching a lot on the web the past few months I found talk about kernel panics and incremental MacOS updates not always replacing everything they should replace with new versions (especxially the kernel for instance) and not always cleaning up old mess.

The advice was to install a MacOS Combo Update. A combo update can only be installed over the previous or current version of the same OS (10.15.3 combo update over 10.15.3, 10.15.2, 10.15.1 or 10.15 but always Catalina over Cataline, not over Mojave for instance).

A combo update makes sure everything is replaced, cleans all caches etc ...

So what I did is:

• make a backup to be sure.
  • closed all applications
  • rebooted
  • closed all TSR apps that could be closed in the taskbar
  • ran the 10.15.3 combo update over 10.15.3

It's been about 30 hours now, the computer went to sleep numerous times, I rebooted it a bunch of times, shut it down and powered it up again a few times, all three situations that always resulted in the kernel panic on my machine with a couple of TB3 drives, a USB-C drive, displayport over TB3 and heaps of USB devices connected.

Result: not even 1 kernel panic or crash when sleeping, restarting or rebooting.

As a bonus my Time Machine backup to a Synology NAS works without problems again as well (it used to ask to do a complete new backup every hour).

Here's the link to the combo update for 10.15.3: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2030?locale=en_US

I hope it helps for others as well!

Nov 9, 2019 2:19 AM in response to plusacht

Same here, iMac late 2015 with an external thunderbolt disc (this is my boot disc). But even if this ssd is not attached, my iMac crashes when returning from sleep mode, but with another error message. Reinstall the OS did not help. There is another thread about this problem, no solution yet.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250717203?answerId=251587419022

Dec 17, 2019 9:20 AM in response to ClaudeG77

Same here on macOS 10.15.1 and after upgrade to 10.15.2

IOAHCIBlockStorageDriver::CommandTimeout!

See attached Kernel_2019-12-17-100020_ss-eng-esutton.panic

Repeatable Steps to Reproduce

1) Power-up and let computer sleep

2) Wake computer, enter password, see spinning beach ball

3) Kernel panic crash

- Tried PRAM reset

- Using a dual-monitor display.

- MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) MacBookPro10,1

- Using upgraded 2 TB OWC SSD upgrade ( 1.92TB / 1.3 TB free)

Nov 2, 2019 2:10 PM in response to ClaudeG77

I’m having a similar problem on a Late 2015 27-inch iMac with a Mobius 5 bay enclosure connected by Thunderbolt.

The panics happen when I’ve been away from the iMac for a while, and come back to the login screen after a reboot.

As a workaround, I’ve told the iMac not to sleep drives, and not to sleep when the display is off.

No panics yet, but it’s only been an hour. I’ll update this reply if my workaround helps the situation.

Kris

Nov 5, 2019 1:29 PM in response to ClaudeG77

Um, yeah, on my 2019 27" iMac I started getting kernel panics when my external Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station Thunderbolt enclosure is plugged in. Doesn't matter if I turn off hard drive sleeping or computer sleeping, it still panics very frequently. For now I'm putting my drives into USB enclosures until Apple sorts this out. Luckily, I'm just doing JBOD in that enclosure.

Nov 10, 2019 9:10 AM in response to ClaudeG77

The issue seems to be with the "Put hard disks to sleep" preference. It seems that Catalina needs to access external hard drives even when it is asleep - I see the activity lights blink briefly. I was getting crashes every few hours since it was upgraded; since unchecking this option everything has worked fine. It might be something to do with how I have my material arranged across the drives but there is no guidance given at the moment as what we should be doing.

Nov 11, 2019 3:33 PM in response to Ed Chan

Same here-- 2017 iMac, Akitio Thunder3 Raid Station-- crashes when I walk away, or computer goes to sleep. Disconnected device-- iMac seems to be ok, now. Sent a note to Akitio support.

What kind of USB enclosures did you put your drives in? Since you were doing JBOD in the Akitio enclosure, the drives will work with any others-- regardless of the ASMedia RAID controller?

Nov 14, 2019 11:14 AM in response to ClaudeG77

Dear All,

I have the same issue than you all on a iMac of 2017

I contacted Apple. We tried to reset the SMC and NVRAM. No improvements.

Run the diagnostics. Diagnostics is good

Check the 2 partitions of SSD. All good

I then disabled (not uninstalled) all features of my Norton AV. and since then no kernel panic.

I tried to activate again the firewall functions 1 by 1. It did not took 5 minutes to get a kernel panic.

Not to say that it's Norton fault but there is something to explore

Regards

Nov 15, 2019 4:34 AM in response to Aru64

Turning off BOTH "Power Nap" AND "Put hard disks to sleep" seems to have worked for me. (These are both in System Preferences > Energy Saver).

I haven't actually tried all possible combinations, but:

PowerNap ON/HD Sleep ON →panic occurs

PowerNap ON/HD Sleep OFF → panic occurs

PowerNap OFF/HD Sleep ON → haven't tried yet

PowerNap OFF/HD Sleep OFF → No panic!

FWIW, John

Nov 15, 2019 12:41 PM in response to ClaudeG77

Maybe I found a solution.

I've tried nearly everything - changed RAM, reset anything, boot from internal and external drives, switched WLAN on and off, but nothing helped. There was one last thing to try - and now I can go to sleep mode and wake up my iMac without any problem. Maybe it's a little early to give the green light here, but switching of Bluetooth did the trick.

It took some time to find an old USB keyboard and mouse, but now everything works fine. I keep watching the next days, but could you please try and give feedback? Good luck!

Kernel Panic after upgrade to 10.15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.