Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I cast to my tv via Chromecast?

I've used various apps that include the Chromecast icon (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). I'd like to try out Apple Tv and cast it to my television likewise, but have not found an answer to whether this same ability is found through the Apple TV app? I may decide eventually to purchase the Apple TV HD hardware, but for the time being I would subscribe to the Apple TV+ programming if I can be certain of my ability to stream to the tv via the Chromecast attached thereto.

Thanks in advance to any answer.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 3:49 PM

Apple's protocol is airplay. There may be 3rd party apps that allow for casting certain content from your Mac and iPhone, but you won't be able to use it to stream Apple content to your TV. That would require airplay from an Apple TV or TV that had that function built in.

5 replies

Nov 1, 2019 3:46 PM in response to vazandrew

Both my iPhone and my MBP have apps on them that enable Chromecasting. My question is not so much about the ability of the device (I know they can), but the ability of the app...in this case the Apple TV+ app. I know that Apple and Google are not always aligned, but the fact that Apple (and recently Amazon Prime) have allowed such casting, the question I pose is legit, I think.

Can I cast to my tv via Chromecast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.