Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I give up!! - Terminal error; "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point" -- HELP!!

I give up!! - I've followed the instructions (to the letter!) for every version of the OSX installers - and ALL are working fine, EXCEPT for SIERRA!! -- Every troubleshooting attempt I can think of results in the same Terminal error; "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point" -- HELP!!

Before you ask, YES - I have named my destination drive "MyVolume" - and YES, I know it is case sensitive...

I've wasted too much time researching this -- and I know there are a ton of others having the same issue - but no resolution so far...

anyone??

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 11:30 AM

WORKAROUND FOR CREATING BOOT MEDIA FOR SIERRA

KNOW ERRORS SINCE OCT24th 2019

- “not a valid volume mount point” when creating a USB boot disk

- Unable to create a boot media due to expired OSX certificates Oct 24

FIX PREREQUISITES [New installation verified]

- Ensure disk format as GUID/Extended Journaled

- Reinstallation on APFS may result failure such as “no native error to verify installinfo.plist"

Follow steps in order noted:

- Download new Sierra release with certificate fix here:

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-39476-20191023-48f365f4-0015-4c41-9f44-39d3d2aca067/InstallOS.dmg

- Run “installos.dmg” and extract InstallOS.pkg

- Install “InstallOS.pkg” on a MAC complaint computer. Installation only verifies compliance and copies installer to application folder.

- Rename “Install macOS Sierra.app” to “Install macOS Sierra.app.NEW

- Search google to find old release of Sierra prior to Oct 24 2019

• Old Sierra file name should remain as “Install macOS Sierra.app

NOTE Both old and new software installers must be installed in the Application folder:

YOU MUST START WITH THE OLD VERSION OF SIERRA, NOT NEW FOR CREATING BOOT DISK

• Open terminal
  • Change volume to match your setup and paste command into terminal window:
  • sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
  • Enter password for sudo
  • if you get the message “To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/MyVolume” If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return”

-

STOP, STOP AT THIS POINT DO NOT TYPE “Y” OR “YES” to continue

NEXT TWO STEPS ARE MOST IMPORTANT IN GETTING TRICK TO WORK:

• RENAME “Install macOS Sierra.app” to “Install macOS Sierra.app.OLD
  • RENAME “Install macOS Sierra.app.NEW” to “Install macOS Sierra.app”

- NOW YOU CAN ENTER “Y” TO CONTINUE WITH THE BOOT DISK CREATION

• if you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

=================================================

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Copying boot files...

Copy complete.

Done.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2019 11:30 AM in response to MrHoffman

WORKAROUND FOR CREATING BOOT MEDIA FOR SIERRA

KNOW ERRORS SINCE OCT24th 2019

- “not a valid volume mount point” when creating a USB boot disk

- Unable to create a boot media due to expired OSX certificates Oct 24

FIX PREREQUISITES [New installation verified]

- Ensure disk format as GUID/Extended Journaled

- Reinstallation on APFS may result failure such as “no native error to verify installinfo.plist"

Follow steps in order noted:

- Download new Sierra release with certificate fix here:

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-39476-20191023-48f365f4-0015-4c41-9f44-39d3d2aca067/InstallOS.dmg

- Run “installos.dmg” and extract InstallOS.pkg

- Install “InstallOS.pkg” on a MAC complaint computer. Installation only verifies compliance and copies installer to application folder.

- Rename “Install macOS Sierra.app” to “Install macOS Sierra.app.NEW

- Search google to find old release of Sierra prior to Oct 24 2019

• Old Sierra file name should remain as “Install macOS Sierra.app

NOTE Both old and new software installers must be installed in the Application folder:

YOU MUST START WITH THE OLD VERSION OF SIERRA, NOT NEW FOR CREATING BOOT DISK

• Open terminal
  • Change volume to match your setup and paste command into terminal window:
  • sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
  • Enter password for sudo
  • if you get the message “To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/MyVolume” If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return”

-

STOP, STOP AT THIS POINT DO NOT TYPE “Y” OR “YES” to continue

NEXT TWO STEPS ARE MOST IMPORTANT IN GETTING TRICK TO WORK:

• RENAME “Install macOS Sierra.app” to “Install macOS Sierra.app.OLD
  • RENAME “Install macOS Sierra.app.NEW” to “Install macOS Sierra.app”

- NOW YOU CAN ENTER “Y” TO CONTINUE WITH THE BOOT DISK CREATION

• if you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

=================================================

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Copying boot files...

Copy complete.

Done.

Feb 8, 2020 7:38 PM in response to BarryVedros

BarryVedros wrote:

The reason I want to install Sierra is that I installed High Sierra and the graphics are crap.
Mid-2010 MBP

Is it the look of the icons and interface or is it graphical/GPU issues?

If the latter and you have a 15" or 17" model you are likely encountering the known GPU issues associated with this laptop due to a hardware issue. If this is the case you can force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead by using gfxCardStatus utility.

If the issue is just the cosmetic look of High Sierra, then you can install an earlier pre-Sierra version of macOS until Apple fixes the Sierra USB installer, then install the Sierra upgrade. To install an older version of macOS you have two options:

Nov 1, 2019 7:15 PM in response to MrHoffman

I've been following the recently updated post from Apple found at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 using this terminal command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

I've tried reformatting and renaming the USB multiple times (altering the terminal command accordingly).. -- plus multiple reboots, PRAM resets, etc..

Nov 19, 2019 1:07 PM in response to hamoja

I wasted the entire day trying to create a Sierra boot disc. How does Apple have a version of the Sierra installer that actually works for creating a bootable disc? I mean, especially when they have an entire page dedicated to it, and linking to a version of the Sierra installer specifically for that reason? This is exactly what's wrong with Apple these days...

hamoja, where did you get that info from? Thanks for posting that—within 15 minutes I have a working, bootable Sierra installer again. Appreciate the post.

Nov 25, 2019 4:27 PM in response to RBrazell

SOLVED!!!

I have been working for 8 hours+ and someone in the internet said the new installer was missing files. So I copied from an old installer (4.9GB) to the new installer (5.01). Try installing both of them maybe install the old one first and then rename it, then install the new one, Go to applications folder right click "show package contents" open "Contents" of old installer, copy files. Do the same with new installer but instead of copying you paste and override the files. Then run your script in terminal.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Volume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

(Volume is the name of my external hard drive or could be your flash drive)

The old installer is here: http://176.9.47.213/themacgo/macOS_Sierra_10.12.1.dmg?md5=pRYVhmXwKESElwkxHWxmLg&expires=1574820354

The new installer is here: http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-39476-20191023-48f365f4-0015-4c41-9f44-39d3d2aca067/InstallOS.dmg

Nov 26, 2019 6:08 AM in response to MrHoffman

Yep, the first link isn't Apple-official. And that's the bigger problem with Apple releasing yet another broken piece of software. It's not just that they couldn't release a functional installer—now we have people having to find random "old" versions of the installer from non-Apple sources. Who knows what's going on with those installers? Brutal.

Feb 9, 2020 6:34 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech

Thanks so much for the help. I downloaded the app but still having issues in both Intel and Nvidia modes. I have a mid-2010 MBP that I'm trying to keep in service. Went from El Capitan to High Sierra before checking for known issues and got bit by the graphics bug. I'm told that going down to Sierra will fix it. So I've been prepping a USB install to do that - NOT AN EASY TASK - thanks Apple. The icons and desktop seem to be ok, it's gfx artifacts in graphics programs like Pixelmator and all web sites in Safari and Chrome. Mostly what I use this one for.

Thanks

Barry

I give up!! - Terminal error; "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point" -- HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.