Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ssd external hard disc drops often without any reason and cannot be found in finder

very often my external ssd disc disappear leaving eg Photoshop not working. What may be the problem? When my iMac is sleeping I may get 20 or mor warnings that I must disconnect the disc before shutting down.

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 9:40 AM

Could be—

the SSD is failing

or

the cable or cable connection

or

the enclosure or the controller on the enclosure.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

4 replies

Nov 3, 2019 3:47 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your help! I switched cables between another connected Samsung SSD and that first seemed to solve the problem. But after 12 hours I got a warning that I must disconnect the disc before shutting down, I hadn´t disconnected only let my iMac go to sleep ... Could it be that my iMac usb ports cannot power two Samsung SSD simultaneously? Then as another kind adviser suggested, I should use an own powered hub to my SSD hard discs

my ssd external hard disc drops often without any reason and cannot be found in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.