Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification: Message failed to send

Every time I restart my iPhone I get a notification "Message failed to send" and saying when this was. Currently that is "298 days ago". I can find no unsent messages on the phone. Any thoughts as to what is going on?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 11:13 AM

Good afternoon Richard Jones22,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are seeing a "Message failed to send" notification every time you restart your iPhone. This is for a message that was sent "298 days ago."

Are these messages stored on your iPhone, or do you have Messages in iCloud enabled? Keep all your messages in iCloud

Have you tried to disable notifications for the Messages app, restart your iPhone, and then enable the setting again?

Change message notifications on iPhone - iPhone User Guide - iOS 12

Your profile shows an iPhone 6s with iOS 12. Is that right?

I would suggest updating your iPhone to iOS 13.2, and then restarting your iPhone.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, you may need to restore your iPhone to factory settings, and set it up as new.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Richard Jones22

Good afternoon Richard Jones22,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are seeing a "Message failed to send" notification every time you restart your iPhone. This is for a message that was sent "298 days ago."

Are these messages stored on your iPhone, or do you have Messages in iCloud enabled? Keep all your messages in iCloud

Have you tried to disable notifications for the Messages app, restart your iPhone, and then enable the setting again?

Change message notifications on iPhone - iPhone User Guide - iOS 12

Your profile shows an iPhone 6s with iOS 12. Is that right?

I would suggest updating your iPhone to iOS 13.2, and then restarting your iPhone.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, you may need to restore your iPhone to factory settings, and set it up as new.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Take care.

Notification: Message failed to send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.