Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Model Model # ZOUU3LL/A

Hi- This question has been asked before but the site recommended I start a new disussion. I am looking into this model which is available on Costco. Another community member stated on a March discussion about this model that it wasn't legit and they" would not buy from them". However, Costco would not sell a fake Mac product .

I'd like to know if any one has this model or more information about it., such as the year. I can call the Costco service center but it's Sunday and I'm interested in getting info ASAP. Thank you!

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 6:12 PM

fyip- thank you for your reply! I searched online and found that it is indeed a "real"

Model Number and it's a 2017 per Costco. Right now it's still showing up as $899 but will be $699 on Nov 28th per the Holiday catalog they sent out. I went ahead and bought it and was told to submit a price adjustment online for it right after and that it would be honored , which I did. Great buy!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 6:12 PM in response to fyip

fyip- thank you for your reply! I searched online and found that it is indeed a "real"

Model Number and it's a 2017 per Costco. Right now it's still showing up as $899 but will be $699 on Nov 28th per the Holiday catalog they sent out. I went ahead and bought it and was told to submit a price adjustment online for it right after and that it would be honored , which I did. Great buy!

Nov 3, 2019 6:59 PM in response to rkmurphy717

You are definitely getting an older model from at least 2017 based on the i7 Intel 5th generation CPU. The most current MBAirs have an 8th generation i5 CPU.

The older model is nice since it has the old style keyboard most people like, however, the 128GB SSD is way too small. Most contributors on these forums recommend a minimum of a 256GB SSD. If you want to go with the older model because of the keyboard, then look for one with a 256GB SSD. Keep in mind you need to keep at least 20GB of storage space free for normal use, but you may need 40GB - 50GB free storage space when you upgrade to the next version of macOS.

Unfortunately the 2018 model has the dreaded butterfly keyboard which most people despise with a vengeance partly due to how it feels, but also because of the many keyboard failures associated with it. Apple has a free repair program for laptops with the butterfly keyboards:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

FYI, the SSD on the 2018 model is soldered onto the Logic Board so make sure to purchase one with sufficient storage for the life of the laptop. While the 2017 and earlier models have removable SSDs, installing a third party SSD upgrade isn't without some issues when it comes to macOS upgrades and some system firmware upgrades so even with the older model it is best to purchase the laptop with sufficient storage. Definitely keep the original Apple SSD in case it is needed later.

Make sure to purchase at least one external drive to use for system backups. SSDs can fail at any time without any warning with little chance of being able to recover your data so a backup is very important.

Nov 3, 2019 7:25 PM in response to HWTech

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the useful information, HWTech! I will research this model further and it won't be an issue to return should I decide to spend a bit more instead. FWIW, I'm on an early 2014 13in MacBook Air, just downloaded Catalina with no issues and still have loads of memory. I plan to clean it up a lot- mostly old bookmarks and downloads that I don't need, emails, etc- so I'll have more and will be keeping this one but starting to have trouble with the screen blacking out which I think is just because the the top is loose. When I press down on it the screen lights back up. Really just an excuse to get a newer model as I don't download movies or do graphics or anything so most anything is probably going to be better !

I did not even know about the newer keyboard configuration- I'll have to check it out as I'm going into the Apple Store this week to transfer my old iPhone to a newer one and want to make sure I do it right. I'm not particularly literate when it comes to this stuff! I truly thank you for taking the time to help me and I am going to talk to a friend who is much more savvy than I am with Mac's and show him what you shared to make sure I'm not throwing my money away on something that won't suit my needs which are pretty basic. Oh, and thanks also for the info on getting an external drive- I planned to do that anyway for this laptop before I transferred anything to a new one. Off to shop as that is a must whether I keep the one I ordered or not!

Nov 4, 2019 6:27 AM in response to rkmurphy717

I knew some of this but did not want to burst your bubble 🤭 as two years from now, a newer model purchased now and compared to the new one released in two years won't be as good.

It will always be like that and then there is the cost, how much you are willing to spend and how much you can afford.

I paid $3.500.00 for my MacBook Pro six years ago and I am still as happy as day one every time I use it.

I hope you will be happy whatever you decide. 😄

Macbook Air Model Model # ZOUU3LL/A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.