Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beachballing, Etrecheck - Poor Performance

Hi everyone,

My mac book air has been beachballing & freezing a lot lately so I ran EtreCheck and it came out with poor performance. Any advice is greatly appreciated

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 11:14 AM

With only 4GB of RAM Catalina is pretty much hogging all available resources. You have several high resource applications such as MS Office and Google Chrome as well. You also have a number of extras - plug-ins etc. To get the best possible performance with your computer you'll need to pare things down: run one or two applications at a time, for example. I'd dump Chrome since it is a known resource hog. You might also consider backing up the computer and then doing a clean install, installing only the applications you absolutely need and only the plug-ins you need.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Sophie_C_S

With only 4GB of RAM Catalina is pretty much hogging all available resources. You have several high resource applications such as MS Office and Google Chrome as well. You also have a number of extras - plug-ins etc. To get the best possible performance with your computer you'll need to pare things down: run one or two applications at a time, for example. I'd dump Chrome since it is a known resource hog. You might also consider backing up the computer and then doing a clean install, installing only the applications you absolutely need and only the plug-ins you need.

Beachballing, Etrecheck - Poor Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.