Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Beachballing

My iMac is running very slow with long delays and "Beachballing" when opening up Apps or moving between them, in particular after Shutdown or Restart, but always in fact. I've run analysis using EtreCheckPro which has produced a report. I am definitely not a tech, can anyone look at the report for me and make some suggestions. I'd insert the report here but am unsure how. Many thanks in anticipation.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 3:22 PM

Time Machine auto backups are disabled. Please turn this on.

However, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Cheers,

Jack

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Spurs1962

Time Machine auto backups are disabled. Please turn this on.

However, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Cheers,

Jack

Nov 14, 2021 8:30 PM in response to Spurs1962

SSD up and running and, wow, what a difference. Thank you so much for this, my iMac is now running like an express instead of like a 100 year-old steam train. You are providing an enormous service for people with minimal technical skills like me (as well as lots of others I'm sure).

Thanks so much again, greatly appreciated. Cheers, David

Nov 15, 2021 3:42 PM in response to GW208

No GW208, it went exactly as per described in the information. In fact most fields mentioned in the instructions were the default so nothing had to be selected. Make sure you take a Time Machine backup immediately prior to starting the process so you can restore from the correct date/time. The instructions are easy to follow, even for me. I had taken my iMac into an Apple "experts" shop and they found nothing wrong and had no suggestions ($AUD150 down the drain). I wish I'd asked this forum earlier a few years ago. I was about to spend over $AUD2,000 on a new iMac but it is now like it was when brand new.

From the instructions I believe you would need the same SSD as I purchased (G-Technology G-Drive) which cost me $AUD250.

Good Luck.

Dec 2, 2021 4:57 PM in response to Spurs1962

Sorry for not replying and thanking you and Jack sooner Spurs. I found the recommended SSD at our local Best Buy in stock and on sale for $90. As you said, the instructions were perfect and I can't believe how much faster my computer is and I'm so sorry I didn't do this sooner. I've almost forgotten what a beachball is as I haven't seen one since connecting the SSD.

I did have a couple of hiccups though. Pressing and holding the Command & R keys at startup wasn't working, only the regular screen would come up. An internet search brought me right back here to the community and the suggestion to use a wired instead of wireless keyboard. Luckily my wife had one that I plugged in and was all set to get started. That's when the second problem showed up, there was no Command key on it.🤦‍♂️

Back to the internet to find out that the Windows key was the Command key and from there it was clear sailing.

Thanks again to all here who share their time and experience with us.

Dec 2, 2021 5:26 PM in response to GW208

Sorry for not replying and thanking you and Jack sooner Spurs.

You're welcome!

I found the recommended SSD at our local Best Buy in stock and on sale for $90.

Good deal! Glad you found that!

I did have a couple of hiccups though. Pressing and holding the Command & R keys at startup wasn't working, only the regular screen would come up. An internet search brought me right back here to the community and the suggestion to use a wired instead of wireless keyboard. Luckily my wife had one that I plugged in and was all set to get started. That's when the second problem showed up, there was no Command key on it.🤦‍♂️

Sorry about that. I actually just updated the User Tip to avoid the step of using Recovery Mode due to this issue. Sorry it was not sooner!

Cheers,

Jack

Dec 2, 2021 9:39 PM in response to Jack-19

No, no, no Jack, there is no need for you to apologize, your instructions were invaluable in giving me the confidence to install the SSD. I was ready to buy a new computer but now there is no need as I feel like I have one.

I only mentioned the hiccups because I thought they were kind of comical, it was not a problem.

iMac Beachballing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.