Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility shows two internal hard drives.

Hi,

I updated to Catalina 10.15 on MacBook Pro mid 2012 model. The Disk Utility shows two internal hard drives. One says Macintosh HD and the other Macintosh HD - Data

I don't know what is the problem. What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 4:48 AM

That is standard for Disk Utility and Catalina. Catalina stores the system files on one partition and your user files on another. Finder automatically integrates the two into one for display purposes but Disk Utility shows them as two as they really are.

5 replies

Nov 4, 2019 6:07 AM in response to Limnos

I appreciate the link. But my case is different in seemingly two important points.

1. the two Macintosh HD drives shown in the finder side bar both have the same name "Macintosh HD" and are identical in every respect; I have no "Macintosh HD-Data" showing in my finder.

2. I apparently have no problem with time machine. I received no message asking me to rename "Macintosh HD-Data". I suppose for the obvious reason that finder shows no such name. And I am able to do back up's on time machine without any problems and I am able to enter in on these backups and access everything without any problem.

Given this differences, I wonder if my case is simply something else or if it is not problematic enough to merit me having to spend another day reinstalling my mac os?

Thanks for the help.

Disk Utility shows two internal hard drives.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.