Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Catalina. 2 MAC HD data drives

After installing Catalina a second time, it put a second Mac HD data partition. Then when trying to use Time Machine, it failed. Because there are two drives with the same name HD data. How do I rename the drive or delete the Drive. How do I know which one Catalina is using?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 8:30 AM

Finally an answer ;

1. back up your computer
  2. power off then; enter recovery mode with the world spinning
  3. select disk utility
  4. show all devices; erase both hd data drives one at a time
  5. select the Hard drive top layer; erase the drive
  6. power off and open again in recovery mode and download Catalina
  7. then restore your data from time capsule

everything is back to normal

after talking to a senior analyst ; the drives must be erased before installing catalina; otherwise it will just keep install new ones with the old data drives.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2019 8:30 AM in response to Momemor

Finally an answer ;

1. back up your computer
  2. power off then; enter recovery mode with the world spinning
  3. select disk utility
  4. show all devices; erase both hd data drives one at a time
  5. select the Hard drive top layer; erase the drive
  6. power off and open again in recovery mode and download Catalina
  7. then restore your data from time capsule

everything is back to normal

after talking to a senior analyst ; the drives must be erased before installing catalina; otherwise it will just keep install new ones with the old data drives.

Dec 20, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Rayamc

I just had this happen to me after I had problems with an update in Catalina which caused it not to boot up, so I had to erase all my data and do full reinstall of Cataline then a full data restore from Time Machine.

Apple Support guided me through the process.

1. Back up the system on Time Machine (Full back up or do a new incremental before starting)
  2. Remove/unplug any devices (including Time Machine connections) and any other external drives.
  3. Reboot Machine and ensure only Finder is running.
  4. Open Disk Utility
  5. One of the Macintosh HD - Data will have the Home icon, one will not, it will also be the one with the lowest usage used about 1mb/2mb.
  6. Select that and use the - (minus) key at the top, this will remove the Partition/Disk Image (Note: Erase will not do the job as this will just remove the data on the drive), you will be prompted to remove it. Confirm it.
  7. Reboot again.
  8. Check to ensure the new HD Data, now correctly shows the Free Space and Used Spaced which when added together match the max capacity of the volume (unless you have other partitiions defined).
  9. Plug in again all external devices - Time Machine drive etc.
  10. Do another backup / incremental after.

Jan 16, 2020 10:08 PM in response to craig150

I had this after doing a recovery. Here's how I fixed it, WITHOUT going into recovery mode (although that is the proper way to do this):

1. I ejected the "iMac HD - Data" that had mysteriously appeared right below my HD icon;
  2. I opened Disk Utility from the Utilities folder;
  3. I saw the 2nd "iMac HD - Data" volume had been dimmed;
  4. I saw I could click the - from the top menu to delete the volume.

Note that before I tried this, I just ejected the volume and emptied the trash thinking it would work like the old .dmg install mounts, but upon restarting lo and behold there it appeared.

Hope that helped give an easy way to end the suffering!

Chris.

Oct 11, 2019 5:06 PM in response to craig150

The -Data drive/volume is your working volume with your applications, home folder with its sub folders, etc. The other drive/volume is a read-only drive for the system and its files. It's Apple's next step in securing the system from outside miscreants.

I've rename named my volumes. The data volume is Toad Hall and the other is Catalina:

Just ignore the non-data volume.

Oct 24, 2019 2:48 AM in response to craig150

This illustrates my case.

From the reply by craig150 it seems it happened when I downloaded Catalina from the Mac App Store to create a backup bootable USB installation drive. It looks like the data volume being used is the one at the bottom, but no idea what to do to revert to normal, other than re-formatting the HD again.

Nov 20, 2019 8:27 AM in response to craig150

I deleted both the Data drives, leaving the HD drive in place. Shut down and restarted in Recovery mode and tried to use Time Machine to recover. It found Time Machine but would not start the download. Then tried to Reinstall Mac OS onto Mac HD. Got the message "The target volume is part of an incomplete system and cannot be installed to".

HELP please

Dec 2, 2019 6:41 AM in response to craig150

Craig150,

I hardly think this issue is solved.

The worst part of this experience for me is that Time Machine was horribly corrupted during the process of restoration or, did not import and parse the data properly. I did end up renaming a data drive to move forward but everything after that was a domino effect of failures.

The double Data drive images caused Time Machine to fail until a drive was renamed.

How is one to know which drive is legitimately connected to the installation and going to function properly? I have moved on and just left things alone as I have spent so much time with this upgrade issue on so many levels that I need to get work done instead of bang my head against the Apple wall. I can only hope Time Machine is functioning properly, I no longer trust the process.

At some point down the road I will wipe everything and start fresh, probably after a few iterations of upgrades, but this has been a ridiculous exercise in Apple dramatically changing the game with no sensible path for educating end users in place.

Very frustrating,

gchdrake

OS Catalina. 2 MAC HD data drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.