Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition while trying to perform clean install Catalina!

While I trying to perform a clean install on my Macbook Pro, I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition which is used by new MacOS Catalina. Now, there is only one single partition on my mac and the computer asks me if I want to install the OS on that single partition. I have no idea what should I do or how can I create the Macintosh HD - Data partition again and install Catalina properly.

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:29 AM

Follow these instructions first: How to erase a disk for Mac. You may have accomplished that already, so just confirm that's what you did.

Then, reinstall macOS. Take note of the following excerpt:

• If you erased your entire disk instead of just the startup volume on that disk, macOS Recovery might offer only the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. You can upgrade to a later version afterward.

That's what you need to do.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 10:29 AM in response to cmltokatli

Follow these instructions first: How to erase a disk for Mac. You may have accomplished that already, so just confirm that's what you did.

Then, reinstall macOS. Take note of the following excerpt:

• If you erased your entire disk instead of just the startup volume on that disk, macOS Recovery might offer only the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. You can upgrade to a later version afterward.

That's what you need to do.

I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition while trying to perform clean install Catalina!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.