Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall mac os catalina

Hi

I’m currently reinstalling mac os catalina. I did the following : cmnd + r => reinstall macos.

The the installation screen popped up with the option to install mac os on 2 disk partitions :

1) Macintosh HD

2) Macintosh HD - data

My question is, can I remove the data partition or not. And if I delete it will catalina create it automatically?

thanks in advance

Jens

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 12:04 PM

Hi Jens,

With MacOS Catalina, two partitions are created. One is for the operating system, Macintosh HD and the other for your data and files, Macintosh HD - Data.

If you remove the data partition your data will be lost so make sure you have a good back up.

I assume it will recreate it if you decided to erase it or delete it from within Disk Utility via Recovery Mode.

You would install MacOS on the Macintosh HD partition as the Data one is reserved for your data.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 12:04 PM in response to jensvanhulst

Hi Jens,

With MacOS Catalina, two partitions are created. One is for the operating system, Macintosh HD and the other for your data and files, Macintosh HD - Data.

If you remove the data partition your data will be lost so make sure you have a good back up.

I assume it will recreate it if you decided to erase it or delete it from within Disk Utility via Recovery Mode.

You would install MacOS on the Macintosh HD partition as the Data one is reserved for your data.

I hope this helps.

reinstall mac os catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.