Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 iPhone not compatible with iTunes on High Sierra?

iTunes is not recognizing my iPhone (iOS 13). I have an Early 2011 MacBook Pro and the highest version it can update to is High Sierra. So is High Sierra not compatible with iOS 13?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 12:08 PM

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 12:08 PM in response to keana145

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Nov 8, 2019 5:20 PM in response to keana145

Hi, Keana!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're trying to connect your iPhone to your MacBook Pro, but iTunes isn't recognizing it. I'm happy to help!

iTunes in High Sierra will still work with a device using iOS 13. If you do not see your device in iTunes, you can use the steps in If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support to troubleshoot.

If you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly. You can do that here: Contact Apple Support.

Best!

Mar 31, 2020 9:08 AM in response to helpling

Had you previously synced this phone with the iTunes library on this computer? If not then that dialog would be expected. Unfortunately it does seem that occasionally iTunes will not recognize a previously connected iPhone and issue that warning in error. As long as you have the media that syncs to the phone in your local library it should present a problem, however if that isn't the case see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community to reclaim your media. The set-up as new device option doesn't change any content on the device but is needed so that iTunes can connect to the device and back it up. There should be a second warning later if you try to set up syncing which will warn that media on the device will be replaced by the selection from the computer. Make sure that you have everything in the library first, and ideally a backup, before you proceed.

tt2

Jun 12, 2020 1:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much. This worked perfectly. I was about to give up, then entered "backup iPhone 6s plus using iTunes 12.8.2.3" on Google and found this post as the third entry. For anyone else out there, here is the info on my devices:

• iPhone 6s plus with iOS 13.3.1,
  • connecting to a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) using USB running OSX version 10.13.6 (High Sierra),
  • using iTunes 12.8.2.3.

At first I was nervous to run the MobileDeviceUpdater.app, as your instructions said "it should notify you of a software update. Install it...". It was unclear what would be updated - the MacBook Pro OSX, the iPhone iOS, or iTunes update from 12.8.2.3 to something(?) else. From what happened, it appears that the update was only for a driver in iTunes and that the iTunes version stayed at 12.8.2.3.

Again, thanks so much!

Mar 21, 2020 6:55 AM in response to turingtest2

@turingtes2,

It's great to know that your reply helped many people to overcome their problems.

Actually I've got the same problem. Necessary info is given bellow:

iTunes 12.8.2.3 in MacBook Pro 13.3" (Early 2011) with OSX 10.13.6 (High Seirra) can't find the iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.3.1

But I can't make this work eventhough I've done the process that you suggested. Is there any other way so that I can connect my iPhone to iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2020 8:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Hey,

I tried your technique but when I opened iTunes afterwards, it prompted me with: "Welcome to your new iPhone" and suggested using an old backup or set it up as a new phone. I clicked it away since I wanted to do neither and I got scared it would overwrite my current phone data.

Was that the wanted outcome of your solution? If so - what should I have done instead of clicking it away?

I have a MBP, Early 2011, running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and iTunes 12.8.2.3. iPhone is on iOS 13.3.1

Apr 1, 2020 7:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for responding so quickly!

I have previously backed up my phone with this computer, unfortunately it's been a while. So I don't have a current backup of my phone on my mac. So when I get prompted with "Welcome to your new iPhone" and whether or not to restore it from a backup or set it up as a new phone, should I proceed to set it up as new or will that delete the data currently on my phone? I don't want to restore it from a backup because the backup I have is so outdated.

As far as I understood your reply, setting it up as a new device is necessary, so that I can do a backup but then you wrote, that I ideally should have a backup before proceeding. But that is my whole issue: I can't make a backup because my phone wasn't recognized by iTunes. Now that it is, thanks to your first reply to the original thread question, I get prompted with the "setup from backup or as new" dilemma.

If it changes anything about your reply to my issue: I don't need to connect my phone to iTunes because of media syncing (as in music, films etc), but solely because I want to do backups of my phone.

Thank you for your help!

Jun 28, 2020 7:22 AM in response to turingtest2

I have a macbook pro 2011 with the defective gpu and I can’t update it because it is forced to only work with the first gpu! (This is what i have done: https://gist.github.com/cdleon/d1eff7246a25193304284ecec40445b0)

So, do you know if there is something i could do to make my iphine work with my macbook again?

i tried to update but since the macbook restarted it couldn’t boot again because of the gpu, so i did the procedure i linked again.

Thabks in advance!

iOS 13 iPhone not compatible with iTunes on High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.