You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'iCloud Drive' taking too much space on iPhone!

Hello!

I recently moved to an iPhone 11 (128GB) from a 6S and transferred my profile and files to the new phone. I also subscribe for a 200GB iCloud storage plan so that I will not have storage/space issues. Today, while checking the available storage space on my new device, I noticed that around 28 GB is taken up by iCloud Drive. 28 GB of my 128 GB iPhone is used by iCloud Drive!!! Looks like 'iCloud Drive' is the item that uses most of my storage space. The description of that item says: "Your most recently accessed files are downloaded to this device for quick access. The original files remain safely stored in iCloud."

It doesn't make sense. How do I get rid of it? How do I free up this space? I saw that this question was already asked on this forum a few months ago, but there were no helpful answers. My question is NOT how to free up space on my iPhone. My question is:

• How to free up the local storage space on my iPhone that is taken up by iCloud Drive?

PS: My husband owns an iPhone Pro Max 256 GB, and he does not have this issue. There is no item by name 'iCloud Drive' in the itemized list of storage space on his iPhone.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 8:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 7:27 AM

Hello priyatha,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It appears that iCloud Drive is taking up internal storage

As you saw in the message, it is expected for iCloud Drive to take up space locally when being used depending on what is stored. To free up this space, you'll want to manage iCloud storage: Manage your iCloud storage

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2019 7:27 AM in response to priyatha

Hello priyatha,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It appears that iCloud Drive is taking up internal storage

As you saw in the message, it is expected for iCloud Drive to take up space locally when being used depending on what is stored. To free up this space, you'll want to manage iCloud storage: Manage your iCloud storage

Take care.

'iCloud Drive' taking too much space on iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.