Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'iCloud Drive' taking up storage on iPhone

I have 'iCloud Drive' taking up 29/128 GB's of storage on my iPhone XR.

I did not try to access any files that are stored on iCloud through my iPhone. Also, I never even had 29gb worth of files on my phone (excluding apps, photo's, video's, etc., which are listed separate from this 'iCloud Drive'). So it cannot be 'files there are stored in iCloud but are accessible on the iPhone and therefore take up local storage', like Apple Support always seems to think.

I have contacted Apple Support multiple times about this, and no one seems to understand it. Everyone just links this page: Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support (UK)

which of course doesn't explain anything, if you understand the question.

So, does anyone from the community maybe know this problem? And maybe even a solution?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 9:15 AM

Apple Support are quite correct.

iCloud is a synchronisation service - designed to keep devices synchronised between each-other and iCloud. Your iPhone will generally have a copy of files and data that are stored in iCloud.

1 reply

'iCloud Drive' taking up storage on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.