Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails sent to my address arrive addressed to my wife's email address.

My email and my wife's have somehow got crossed. I send from my email address and it is received as coming from me. However, incoming mail addressed to my address arrives addressed to my wife's address. This is not spam or anything life that, these are bona fide messages addressed to me. There is an Ipad in the mix so the crossover might be happening there. Help. I am running an old Imac on El Capitan v10.11.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 11:03 AM

Hey there AB-DAB,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having mail related issues. I’ll be happy to help.

Check the mail accounts that are signed in on your Mac. You can do this in Mail > Preferences > Accounts in Mac OS X El Capitan. If you see your wife’s email address there, you may want to consider removing it. This link has more info:

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Once you remove it, you can create your wife her own user account on your Mac with these steps:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you do this, you can add her email account in this user so that your emails aren’t getting crossed up.

On your iPad, check Settings > Mail and see what it says for Default Account. Make sure that is set to your account.

Let me know if these steps help.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2019 11:03 AM in response to AB-DAB

Hey there AB-DAB,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having mail related issues. I’ll be happy to help.

Check the mail accounts that are signed in on your Mac. You can do this in Mail > Preferences > Accounts in Mac OS X El Capitan. If you see your wife’s email address there, you may want to consider removing it. This link has more info:

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Once you remove it, you can create your wife her own user account on your Mac with these steps:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you do this, you can add her email account in this user so that your emails aren’t getting crossed up.

On your iPad, check Settings > Mail and see what it says for Default Account. Make sure that is set to your account.

Let me know if these steps help.

Emails sent to my address arrive addressed to my wife's email address.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.