Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does apple scan for viruses

does apple scan for viruses?

I received a notice from some crazy www.apple.com-mac-% etc and it said i had a virus and all of my data was going to be compromised in 3 minutes. It told me to click the scan button which I did not do. Instead I went to apple's official site to see if I can scan my computer there. No luck! So I am here.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 6:37 AM

It is a scam. Apple would never send an email about scanning for viruses.  In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 6:37 AM in response to fprats

It is a scam. Apple would never send an email about scanning for viruses.  In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

Nov 5, 2019 10:41 AM in response to fprats

Well we can start by seeing what is installed on the computer. Please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem

does apple scan for viruses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.