Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to access footage clips info (fps, resolution, ...) directly in imovie?

I'm often editing many clips taken in different frame rates and resolution into short movie projects. As I'm editing in imovie, I can't seem to find how to view the info of the different footage clips so as to know which one is in which fps, resolution, ...

Is there a way to view the info of my different clips directly in imovie?

If not, what's the most efficient way to work with different framerate clips and know which is which?

The option of adding keywords is currently very limited unfortunately.

And is there a way to know the framerate of a project if I forgot which was the first clip I dragged onto the timeline? Is rendering and exporting it the only way?!

Thanks,

Loric

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 11:50 AM

iMovie will not display the frame rate of a clip. Before putting clips into iMovie you would need to import the clips onto your desktop and label them there, such as "30fps, 1080", adding that description in front of the file name. Then when you import the clips into iMovie you can select them in the time line and click on the information button (the circle with an "i" in it) in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen. That will display the revised file name above the preview screen to show the "30fps, 1080" revision. You can also view the information in the Project Media browser by first doing a View/Skinner Info, and then moving your cursor over the clip.

Regarding the project frame rate, a 60fps project will be shown in the box that appears when you click on the Settings button above the time line on the right. If the project is other than 60fps, you can find out the project frame rate by placing your cursor over any clip in the timeline and holding down the "r" key while you slowly drag the cursor over the clip. You will see a yellow box appear with a time counter immediately above it. The counter counts in frames per second. So, in a 30 fps project when the time counter reaches 00:29 frames it will click to 01:00 second, telling you that it is a 30 fps project. If it were a 60 fps project, it would click to 01:00 second when the timer reached 00:59 frames. Before using the drag method you should first expand your timeline to maximum using the slider next to the Settings button.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 11:50 AM in response to lsto6

iMovie will not display the frame rate of a clip. Before putting clips into iMovie you would need to import the clips onto your desktop and label them there, such as "30fps, 1080", adding that description in front of the file name. Then when you import the clips into iMovie you can select them in the time line and click on the information button (the circle with an "i" in it) in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen. That will display the revised file name above the preview screen to show the "30fps, 1080" revision. You can also view the information in the Project Media browser by first doing a View/Skinner Info, and then moving your cursor over the clip.

Regarding the project frame rate, a 60fps project will be shown in the box that appears when you click on the Settings button above the time line on the right. If the project is other than 60fps, you can find out the project frame rate by placing your cursor over any clip in the timeline and holding down the "r" key while you slowly drag the cursor over the clip. You will see a yellow box appear with a time counter immediately above it. The counter counts in frames per second. So, in a 30 fps project when the time counter reaches 00:29 frames it will click to 01:00 second, telling you that it is a 30 fps project. If it were a 60 fps project, it would click to 01:00 second when the timer reached 00:59 frames. Before using the drag method you should first expand your timeline to maximum using the slider next to the Settings button.

-- Rich

Is it possible to access footage clips info (fps, resolution, ...) directly in imovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.