Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch with cellular question

With the new apple watch with cellular (series 5 I think) can I get rid of my iphone totally and just use the watch???

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 12:14 PM

You still need to pair your Watch with your iPhone. After that you can leave your iPhone at home and use your Watch to receive and make calls and messages, etc. You still need to connect to your iPhone daily.

3 replies

Nov 5, 2019 4:10 PM in response to Packers3597

There are still a number of things that the Watch cannot do without the phone. You don't have access to Safari, some 3rd party app notifications require the phone to be powered on and connected to the network. Some photos in messages cannot be viewed on the Watch, and the eSIM in the Watch requires the iPhone to be programmed and cloned. Storage on the Watch would be an issue, and the Watch cannot roam cellular networks at this time. The Watch also requires the iPhone for backups. Given the restrictions of a device that size, I think they have done pretty good at it performing how it does with out the phone.

Apple watch with cellular question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.