Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICloud taking up local storage...

Hi

Im a music producer who regularly moves around large files and bundles of files. To make file access all of my devices more simple, I have chosen to use iCloud and am very happy with it. However a recurring issue makes it difficult to use.

Say for example I have “optimize Mac storage” switched on.

Looking at my storage status on “About my Mac” it shows that iCloud Drive takes up 79.11 GB of space.

I have 52.16 remaining free storage locally.

if I try to move a folder with 90 GB of data on it from a hard drive to iCloud Drive, it says there is not enough space on the local storage - although there is plenty of space remaining in my iCloud Drive; thus preventing me from uploading or backing up that data to my iCloud.

How should I go about trying to upload my data to iCloud Drive in this case?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 9:24 PM

if I try to move a folder with 90 GB of data on it from a hard drive to iCloud Drive, it says there is not enough space on the local storage - although there is plenty of space remaining in my iCloud Drive; thus preventing me from uploading or backing up that data to my iCloud.

iCloud Drive is NOT off device storage. It is a syncing service, designed to keep certain content the same between subscribed devices.

While you can choose to optimize the content on your Mac to reduce the local space needed, this will only upload some content and only when needed and without your control. It's automated.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 9:24 PM in response to cphamwong

iCloud Drive is NOT off device storage. It is a syncing service, designed to keep certain content the same between subscribed devices.

While you can choose to optimize the content on your Mac to reduce the local space needed, this will only upload some content and only when needed and without your control. It's automated.

ICloud taking up local storage...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.