Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random old texts at 2 am

Last night at 2am my phone buzzed with 2 old, deleted text messages sent from one person 6 months ago, not even from the same conversations. Anyone know what could cause this? It’s an IPhone SE with iOS 13.

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 10:23 AM

tgvgd wrote:

Same, my husband received a text at 12:58am from a message i did not send and was not on my messages. He showed me the text "salio bien baby (kissy emoji)" i never sent this message we were asleep by 9pm that night.

Called sprint and they gave me the code to reset network and to do a service update. I also changed my icloud password and updated to the 13.2ios update. Sprint said it could be a virus and with the code they gave me it should work. i also got a free trial to 2 antivirus norton apps.

Idk if its hackers or the security with the new ios messed up but no bueno. Causing problems . Idk. But hoping this gets addressed .

It's not a virus. It's most likely not hackers. It's most probably a small glitch in a very complex system.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 10:23 AM in response to tgvgd

tgvgd wrote:

Same, my husband received a text at 12:58am from a message i did not send and was not on my messages. He showed me the text "salio bien baby (kissy emoji)" i never sent this message we were asleep by 9pm that night.

Called sprint and they gave me the code to reset network and to do a service update. I also changed my icloud password and updated to the 13.2ios update. Sprint said it could be a virus and with the code they gave me it should work. i also got a free trial to 2 antivirus norton apps.

Idk if its hackers or the security with the new ios messed up but no bueno. Causing problems . Idk. But hoping this gets addressed .

It's not a virus. It's most likely not hackers. It's most probably a small glitch in a very complex system.

Nov 7, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Paul45214

Nov 7, 2019 12:59 PM in response to tgvgd

tgvgd wrote:

I guess we wont know unless someone from Apple will advise on this issue or something else happens. But glad to have been introduced to this thread. Thanks all for posting.

Apple won't be posting anything about it in these forums because 1) they don't do that (their participation here is minimal) and 2) it's not an Apple problem.

See this article:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/07/old-text-message-glitch/

Nov 7, 2019 1:20 PM in response to tgvgd

I spoke with a representative from Apple who advised me to reset my network settings. They made it seem like a network issue but as I have been following twitter and this thread it appears to be across all networks. This feels like an Apple server issue of some sort but let’s hope it stops cause random text messages can be very dangerous to the wrong contacts.

Nov 7, 2019 1:41 PM in response to JoeHenry721

JoeHenry721 wrote:

I spoke with a representative from Apple who advised me to reset my network settings. They made it seem like a network issue but as I have been following twitter and this thread it appears to be across all networks. This feels like an Apple server issue of some sort but let’s hope it stops cause random text messages can be very dangerous to the wrong contacts.

It's not an Apple server problem. Apple's servers have nothing to do with SMS messages. And, they don't appear to be random messages. They appear to be messages from 2/14/2019 that were either never delivered or are being delivered again. So, they were messages intended for you.

Random old texts at 2 am

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.