Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth audio delay (audio not synchronized) on Catalina

Since upgrading to macOS Catalina, my bluetooth headset has had an issue with audio delay. The issue got a little better after updating to 10.15.1, but the issue is still there. It is noticeable when watching videos. When I first start watching a video, the sound is usually synchronized, but if I skip to another point in the video, it'll become unsynchronized. Also, switching to different videos (like when browsing YouTube) causes the audio to become unsynchronized. The weird thing is it will usually eventually fix itself temporarily, before becoming unsynchronized again.

This issue is application-independent. It happens in a web browser with YouTube, in QuickTime Player, and in Optimus Player.

I previously had an issue in one of the later updates of Mojave where after a while, when trying to play any video, the video would stay frozen. Once I opened Activity Monitor and force quit bluetoothaudiod, any video I was trying to play would unfreeze. I haven't had this specific issue in Catalina, but it makes me feel as if Apple has introduced some issues in bluetooth audio near the end of Mojave that persist in Catalina. I've had this laptop (Retina MacBook Pro late 2013) for nearly 6 years now, and haven't had any bluetooth audio issues until the last few months. Besides the macOS version, nothing has changed (devices, environment, etc.).

I have reset my PRAM, deleted my bluetooth plist file, and run Apple Diagnostics, and nothing has solved the issue. I have installed a fresh version of Catalina in a new volume, and I still have this issue, so I believe it has to be a bug in the software.

It is really annoying to watch a video with unsynchronized audio. At least when I had the issue on Mojave, I could quit bluetoothaudiod and reset the issue. On Catalina, I have not figured out a way temporarily (or permanently) fix the issue. It really seems that Apple's quality control has deteriorated recently.

Since I still have this issue on a fresh install, I feel this is a software bug. Regardless, does anybody have any ideas to fix this issue? Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 7:19 AM

8 replies

Nov 11, 2019 4:47 PM in response to Shardsofmetal

Good afternoon Shardsofmetal,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are having issues with audio delay with macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave on your 2013 MacBook Pro. Which Bluetooth headset are you using? Have you tried using a different Bluetooth device? Are there any issues with audio delay using the built-in speakers on your Mac? In addition to the troubleshooting you have already done, here a some additional steps you can try:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac

Set up a Bluetooth audio device to work with Mac - macOS User Guide - macOS Catalina 10.15

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

You may need to have an Apple Genius or an Apple Authorized Service Provider take a look at your computer and headphones. Click the "Service and Support" section of the resource below to find one near you.

Find Locations - Service - Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers

Take care.

Nov 17, 2019 11:00 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hello.

All the alternatives provided not only on the answer above, but also on many other websites (remove and install devices etc etc) don't seem to work. Since the Catalina update, it's an almost 2 second delay between, for example, turning the volume up on the Macbook's keyboard and the response on the headset. Videos are also impossible to watch due to the delay.

I have a Harman Kardon BT and it was working perfectly before the update.

Hopefully there will be an update.

Take care.

Feb 15, 2020 10:20 PM in response to diegotmc

Hello guys!

I may have found a solution, at least this works for me!

My Bluetooth device is capable of AptX, and apparently Catalina was using some other Codec. Anyway, I followed the instrucion of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBwuXwhysY), which basically forces Catalina to use AptX and boom: I get no more delay when playing audio/videos via bluetooth!!! :D

Hope this can help you guys out!

edit: link above uses Apple developer software "Bluetooth Explorer", there is also a terminal workaround by some nice asian guy: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WhVIg8n6o)

Feb 16, 2020 2:49 AM in response to Shardsofmetal

I believe this is not a sole bluetooth audio problem, but a general problem with ANY bluetooth device/service/protocol in MacOS Catalina. I experienced a HUGE delay with Apple own bluetooth keyboard and mouse in games, Counter Strike and Starcraft II, Catalina draws them unplayable!! Switched back to Mojave - no bluetooth delay problem whatsoever.

And yes, Apple QC became MUCH worse this software cycle. Some bugs in iOS13 never solved at all too.

Jan 17, 2020 1:22 AM in response to Shardsofmetal

I have the same annoying issue and I am using Marshall MID BT Headphones. It's the same as you said. Starting a video like for example on youtube everything is fine but when skipping some portions the sound is off by 1 second for my feelings. I have this issue since I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina. Software problems on Mac OS really are becoming worse IMHO.

Bluetooth audio delay (audio not synchronized) on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.