Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last APP syncable version of iTunes not syncing apps

I’m still using IOS 10 as I have a bunch of 32bit apps that are mission critical.

I am aware that Apple removed the ability to sync apps in the last few versions of iTunes, so I am still using iTunes 12.6.53 – the last version to support app sync. This link did not help Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

So now I am trying to sync some apps from my iTunes library that were legally purchased and downloaded under my existing App Store account some time ago. These apps no longer are maintained by the developer and are not in the App Store any longer to download directly to the device.

When I try to sync them with any of my IOS devices running (non jailbroken) IOS 10.x I get a message that iTunes is not authorized to sync these items and I should go to Accounts – Authorize this computer. I have authorized and deauthorized/reauthorized the computer several times but still get the message.

When the computer is really not authorized clicking on the app produces a dialog box to authorize the iTunes account. When I manually authorize the computer from the iTunes menu clicking on the app no longer asks me to sign in to the account as you would expect, but trying to sync the still says that the computer is not authorized.

I also installed iTunes 12.6.53 on a Windows PC (originally tried on a Mac) and get the same error so I don’t think it is a glitch on the specific machine. I have a bad feeling that Apple is blocking it on their end some how.

Any ideas, workarounds or other way to get my legal apps in MY LEGAL phone?

iPad Air 2, iOS 10

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 3:54 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 13, 2019 4:15 PM in response to Bob-NY

Ah, no. Specifically this is the way to do it in iTunes 12.7 or later. Apple support documents tend to assume you're running the current software release, so won't include details for methods used in older builds. As noted earlier to manage apps (in iTunes 12.6.5.3) you would need to click this device icon first;

Then use the apps section of the device management area to add, remove, or reorganize apps.

tt2

Nov 10, 2019 9:15 AM in response to Bob-NY

When using iTunes 12.7 or later you won't get a display in iTunes for the apps on the device. In principle you can drag and drop from Windows Explorer or Finder to the device where it appears in the sidebar in iTunes. For really old apps it may be that there is some form of expired certificate that prevents them from being installed now. Repeated authorization requests are also a feature of corrupted downloads or transfers so could be another potential explanation. FWIW I just used iTunes 12.10.2.3 to transfer the app Inception to my iPhone 11. It didn't transfer when I migrated from a 6 but I have an archive copy of the .ipa file from 2016. It doesn't support my AirPods so I guess it is going to go again, but the drag & drop method should generally work.

tt2

Nov 11, 2019 4:05 PM in response to turingtest2

So I tried to drag and drop from the Desktop to the itunes sidebar (while Library was selected) even though there isn't and app section showing. It doesnt appear that anything under "device" is a drop target (the icon just bounces back to the desktop).

I also clicked on the device as pictured above. The tried to drag from the desktop to anything in the sidebar. Same problem, icon just bounces back to desktop.

Dec 27, 2019 6:23 AM in response to turingtest2

I just spent hours trying to get an old version of an app installed using a hacky method of downloading the ipa and using 12.6.5.3 but ran into authorization issues. I attempted the drag and drop using the latest itunes 12.10.3.1 on Windows 10 for my Iphone 11 on ios 13.2 and it worked!

The one trick is to insure manual sync of music and videos is checked within itunes. The highlighting never showed until that was enabled. Once done it synced over!!!

Last APP syncable version of iTunes not syncing apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.