Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers problem

I try to open things in number and I get this error message. why? The index.xml file is missing.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 5:56 AM

usually this means you are using the old version of Numbers to try to open a new file. Take a look at this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6991

2 replies

Nov 8, 2019 1:33 PM in response to mickmare

I find the easiest way to deal with a situation where this message pops up is to first launch the app (make sure you're opening Numbers.app in your main Applications folder, not an older version in some subdirectory).

Then, once you are sure you have the right app running, choose File > New from its menu and navigate to the document you want to open. That way, you won't accidentally open the document with an old version of the app, as can happen when you double-click a document directly.

SG

numbers problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.