Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21.5 inch iMac Graphics Card

Wondering if anyone knows what all graphics cards will fit in the 2011 iMac? Graphics card is beginning to go out and don’t have more than about $300 available for replacing it. I would like not to lose the boot screen, as I have seen others put Alienware graphics cards into iMacs to replace their dying cards and the machine runs but without boot screen. If I’m not mistaken, the ATI Radeon HD 5670 that I currently have is a MXM 3.0b.

Could I find a graphics card that is used in later Apple hardware that would fit the size requirements and it not lose the boot screen? For example, the 2013 iMac’s GT 750M? (I know that the 2013’s graphics card is soldered, I just don’t know if they made some stand-alones and if so if they would work)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 8:15 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2019 9:09 AM in response to KiltedTim

It’s my wife and I’s at home desktop. We use it for word documents, web browsing, and to stream Netflix/Hulu through our TV via the mini-DisplayPort to a HDMI. I’m not trying to video edit movies or anything near that taxing. Just trying to keep the computer that has served us well and it still perfectly capable for our uses speed wise, running.

It runs high sierra and still boots in <30 seconds. Why would I replace it?

Nov 8, 2019 9:19 AM in response to JMillender

Yes, that is correct. You may be able to find another 2011 21.5" with a GPU and that should work, but doing so IMHO is a waste time and money.

As stated, I would recommend saving for a new Mac with an upgraded GPU if that is what you need. If you are in the USA Apple sells refurbished iMacs, these have zero downside as they are identical to a new machine, have the same 1 year warrant as a new one, are eligible to buy AppleCare (extends the warranty to 3 years) and can save hundreds of dollars. If you decide to take that route, then I'd recommend opening another thread to get recommendations on what configuration to look for.

21.5 inch iMac Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.