Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The rubber around MacBook Pro screen melting...

Hi apple users,

I was so confused when I start to find some sticky dark lines on the edges of my MacBook, shock to realised it's from the black seal rubber around it's screen. I guess it starts to melt of...

So here I am looking forward to find some useful answers...

It's an MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), purchased around late august 2012 i believe.

I was very careful with it from the start, it was the most valuable thing i bought after school. It looks new and everything works fine till I noticed that problem...

Because it's weight... I do have an other MacBook air that i use more often & travel everywhere. I have to mention that without using it every day, I'm aware of shutting it down before i put down the screen. Never felt it gets too hot or hear any notable overworking strange noises... therefor, other than crazy hot summer weather, i couldn't think of any reason for this problem.

By touch, that rubber is hard but fragile now, some little parts still had a bit of stickiness and the screen top area (near camera) missed some rubber sections... also is the most damaged area so far. did't find any more rubber drop-offs lately...

I try to ask people who had same MacBook, but not able to fine any with the exact problem... the internet seems to find the common problem is usually caused by screen reparation. only few people with the same issue mostly mentions Apple recommend them to change their whole screen (with the price not much could agree), didn't provide any specific replacement for the rubber it self.

I never did any reparation for my mac and with it's condition I don't think I'll pay that much to replace it's screen. But also afraid to bring it to any shop...

I'll like to ask if anyone know what cause the rubber to melt of like that ?

Does Apple provide any specific replacement for the rubber part nowadays?

Is there better way to fix my this or should i just ignore this problem... ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 6:54 PM

I too have the same problem. MacBook Pro bought in 2017. The rubber bezel around the screen has become sticky and leaves black marks on the aluminium body. Edges on the screen around the bezel also remain dirty due to smudged rubbe, despite regular cleaning. I take care of the MacBook quite well. Looks like a material defect on the rubber gasket ?

I too am looking around for solutions that doesn't burn my pocket

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 6:54 PM in response to Kadia912

I too have the same problem. MacBook Pro bought in 2017. The rubber bezel around the screen has become sticky and leaves black marks on the aluminium body. Edges on the screen around the bezel also remain dirty due to smudged rubbe, despite regular cleaning. I take care of the MacBook quite well. Looks like a material defect on the rubber gasket ?

I too am looking around for solutions that doesn't burn my pocket

Dec 10, 2020 6:19 AM in response to tay292

Definetly not cosmetic. The rubber seal once off, results in openings for little dust and bugs (real one not the software kind) to enter the space between glass and screen. I thought it was Cosmetic too and ignored it. One fine day a dust mite or something of the sort is lodged right there on my screen ...no way to clear it out unless I replace the screen. Which needless to say is far too costly.

Sep 17, 2020 3:13 AM in response to papa_teo

Hi,

How did you make them agree? I tried to call apple support a few times including one session with a “senior adviser” and non of them allowed me to replace the sticky rubber on the screen of my 2018 MacBook 12inch without spending $700-800 to replace entire screen. My MacBook is still under AppleCare warranty. I even brought it down to the Genius at Jewel and they refused to replace too.

Apr 16, 2020 8:16 AM in response to xyash7

"fed up of apple's sub par quality of materials. even cheap windows laptops don't melt like that. do you think it's covered in warranty?"

The OP's machine is 8 years old so there's no warranty, and it's understandable that the build quality deteriorates for a nearly 10 year old laptop. I would argue that after 8 years no consumer Windows laptop's bezel and build quality hold up better.

Jun 1, 2020 3:54 PM in response to Kadia912

Latex or rubber is chemically hardened during production. There is a natural tendency for all rubber to turn soft and sticky after a while.

I am disappointed because I bought this Macbook just over a year ago. My previous Macbook Pro 13 inch from 2013 did not have this issue. Quality was better in those days. Even my iphone 7 from 2018 is starting to show black horizontal streaks at the top of the screen.

I visited my local Apple Service Provider and was told that this rubber issue was just cosmetic and would not damage the LCD screen if it continued peeling off. This is different from the opinion given online at Apple support. I read one other website that also said that was just a cosmetic issue.

Apr 16, 2020 1:46 PM in response to xyash7

Oh sorry, my post was meant for the OP. I can't comment why yours is happening like that since I don't know how you use your machine daily but I've had 6 MacBook Pros, a MacBook and several Powerbooks and I've never seen this happen on any of my machines. Did you get AppleCare Plus? That would cover it.

Jun 14, 2020 5:27 PM in response to mcintyrel

The service centre wanted to give me a quote to replace the whole screen. I read somewhere this cost a bomb. Replace with possibly the same defective rubber inside?

do we need a class action lawsuit? Lol That would be time consuming. Just avoid macbook in the future for me.

does iPad experience such issues? Maybe get an iPad instead of a macbook in the future

Jun 14, 2020 6:03 PM in response to AdiRosli

I hope someone from Apple can reply or address this matter.

Apple support does not participate here; these are user to user forums. We do not work for Apple.

In order to contact Apple, use the contact support link in the upper right corner of this page and start a repair ticket or go to your nearest Apple store (if open) or an authorized service provider.

The rubber around MacBook Pro screen melting...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.