Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change apple id in account management for kids iphone, or create a new one and copy content?

I am new to Apple products. The situation is that a couple of years ago I hastily created an appleid with my personal info when I was getting my daughter an iphone. She has been using my appleid on her phone all this time with all her contacts, photos, and a ton of vids. I am also paying for extra storage for this purpose.

Well, now, I want to get an ipad pro for my own design work, so I am wondering what I should do...

1) Change my account information to a new appleid/email just for her? Would I then log out of the old account on her phone and relogin with the new appleid? Will this leave everything intact?

2) Get her a new appleid separately, log out of my account on her phone, log into hers, then somehow copy all the content used to have?

Obviously I would still need to administer both accounts as her parent but I think she can have her own appleid right? (shes almost 13)

Again, I'm a newbie with icloud/itunes/etc. What is the best approach?

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 9:57 AM

You are welcome. If you are willing to set up Family Sharing, it doesn't matter. If you do not want to pay for her purchases, then wait until she is 13. You can then create an ID for her without using Family Sharing.

Apple ID - create a new

Apple ID – Create

3 replies

Nov 9, 2019 9:34 AM in response to biosmonkey

I would go with choice 2. Since she is under 13, you will need to set up Family Sharing and create an ID for her.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing -  Ask to Buy

Family Sharing -  Ask to Buy - Get Help

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion.

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Change apple id in account management for kids iphone, or create a new one and copy content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.