You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hacking an iMac off the grid...

Hi,

I have an iMac which I didn't connect to the net as I wanted to write a novel without any fear of it being hacked. Unfortunately my iMac was still hacked - I saw it happening before my eyes (stalker). Can anyone provide any explanations for how this is possible given I only logged onto the home wifi once to download word and then turned it off. I also turned off bluetooth on other devices.

Thanks, VG x

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 11:37 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 10, 2019 5:28 AM in response to Vamosgirl

In reverse order, it's possible to have a Mac not shutdown properly, USB devices are known to "eject" themselves due to firmware issues on the device. I had a few external drives on High Sierra that would randomly eject. Not sure what you mean by "copy" files unless they left the copies behind.

No one can "control" a computer remotely without being connected to it.

Nov 10, 2019 5:34 AM in response to dialabrain

Re files - I meant that the user permissions seemed to change and I couldn't open some of my documents on occasion. The clock was also five minutes behind. You would think that was almost impossible to happen.

What if they connected though a bluetooth or hotspot vulnerability?

Or they broke into the house and set up some type of connection that way?

Nov 10, 2019 5:40 AM in response to Vamosgirl

As far as the clock, it's adjusted using a time server. If you aren't connected to one through WiFi or Ethernet, it can't connect to the time server in order to set the correct time. On occasion files permissions have been known to change due to various reasons, none having to do with being hacked.

I haven't heard anything to indicate you've been hacked.

Nov 10, 2019 5:41 AM in response to Vamosgirl

Vamosgirl wrote:
I only logged onto the home wifi once to download word and then turned it off. I also turned off bluetooth on other devices.

If you did not download Word from Microsoft or the AppStore, then it's possible the download contained a malicious payload. The only other way it could happen would be if someone had physical access to your Mac.

As dialabrain says, it's very difficult to hack a Mac remotely and I can't imagine who would go to the trouble unless you keep state secrets on your Mac. This seems more consistent with some kind of corruption within your OS.

It's also interesting that you took such measures to prevent hacking before you began working on it. Most folks wouldn't even think about that. Do you have a history of being hacked?

Hacking an iMac off the grid...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.