Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac is running very slow - can somebody please check my EtreCheck report?

Hi there,

As above my iMac is running incredibly slow, it never used to, but now it takes a long time to load up and performance is so slow - even opening a webpage takes a long time.

I have an EtreCheck report, however I don't really understand it :/

Can somebody please, please advise??

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 9:01 AM

Welcome!

For a start you bought the entry-level iMac model with a slow 1.6Ghz processor with only two cores. The next model up had a 2.8Ghz processor with four cores. Look at the the difference in benchmark scores for iMacs that year (from the MacTracker database):

Basically, for a ~16 percent savings in purchase price over the 2.8ghz model, Apple achieved a ~50 percent reduction in performance. Those numbers do not compute a favorable cost/benefit profile for me.

This is aggravated by Apple's decision to fit slow hard drives to 21.5-inch iMacs. In the 2105 models, no one, human or divine, can increase RAM. 2015 was the one year they soldered the RAM in place, making it truly your "forever RAM."

Rather than give up, I'd rather see if we can make what you have work better for you. That fact that you say the computer has noticeably slowed since new suggest both a potential hard drive issue and software problems.

First, your drive's read/write speed are far below what I consider normal for that drive type:

Performance:

System Load: 1.80 (1 min ago) 2.12 (5 min ago) 2.06 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 2.29 MB/s

File system: 56.71 seconds

Write speed: 57 MB/s

Read speed: 49 MB/s

We have the same basic drive in a geriatric 2011 iMac 21.5 and it still scores in the 80-100MBps range for read/write.

Looking at the report, I wonder if iDrive is accounting to part of this. Online backups can slow things and, if used to back up too much stuff, they can drastically slow things because of so much accessing of your already slow hard drive.

So disable iDrive temporarily, restart the computer, and run a while to see if things get better.

You have some components running that use SIMBL. Although legitimate processes can use SIMBL, so can some adware. Download MalWareBytes from the developer's site (https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/) and run it. If SIMBL is attached to adware, MalwareBytes will flag and evict it. The senior contributors here trust that utility because it was developed by one of most trusted contributors and does not extract a performance penalty on Macs like other programs.

I am concerned the all the Cisco stuff is contributing. Do you need it?

You absolutely do not have the resources in your computer to run Google Chrome. It eats as many system resources as it can stuff in its rather large maw!

See what you think, I'll try to check back later today.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 9:01 AM in response to Nic-2020

Welcome!

For a start you bought the entry-level iMac model with a slow 1.6Ghz processor with only two cores. The next model up had a 2.8Ghz processor with four cores. Look at the the difference in benchmark scores for iMacs that year (from the MacTracker database):

Basically, for a ~16 percent savings in purchase price over the 2.8ghz model, Apple achieved a ~50 percent reduction in performance. Those numbers do not compute a favorable cost/benefit profile for me.

This is aggravated by Apple's decision to fit slow hard drives to 21.5-inch iMacs. In the 2105 models, no one, human or divine, can increase RAM. 2015 was the one year they soldered the RAM in place, making it truly your "forever RAM."

Rather than give up, I'd rather see if we can make what you have work better for you. That fact that you say the computer has noticeably slowed since new suggest both a potential hard drive issue and software problems.

First, your drive's read/write speed are far below what I consider normal for that drive type:

Performance:

System Load: 1.80 (1 min ago) 2.12 (5 min ago) 2.06 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 2.29 MB/s

File system: 56.71 seconds

Write speed: 57 MB/s

Read speed: 49 MB/s

We have the same basic drive in a geriatric 2011 iMac 21.5 and it still scores in the 80-100MBps range for read/write.

Looking at the report, I wonder if iDrive is accounting to part of this. Online backups can slow things and, if used to back up too much stuff, they can drastically slow things because of so much accessing of your already slow hard drive.

So disable iDrive temporarily, restart the computer, and run a while to see if things get better.

You have some components running that use SIMBL. Although legitimate processes can use SIMBL, so can some adware. Download MalWareBytes from the developer's site (https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/) and run it. If SIMBL is attached to adware, MalwareBytes will flag and evict it. The senior contributors here trust that utility because it was developed by one of most trusted contributors and does not extract a performance penalty on Macs like other programs.

I am concerned the all the Cisco stuff is contributing. Do you need it?

You absolutely do not have the resources in your computer to run Google Chrome. It eats as many system resources as it can stuff in its rather large maw!

See what you think, I'll try to check back later today.

Nov 10, 2019 8:19 AM in response to Nic-2020

Well you bought a base model iMac with un-upgradeable RAM of only 8 GB and a glacially slow 5400 RPM HD , these configurations are fine for basic e-mail and web surfing tasks but not for all the applications you have loaded it down with. In short, you bought the wrong configuration.

The only thing you can do to speed it up, is to purchase an external SSD, then install Mac OS on it, migrate your apps and data to the external SSD and use then erase the internal HD and just use it for additional storage. I would recommend contacting www.macsales.com and they can explain several options to you.

Good luck.

Nov 10, 2019 9:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you very much for your reply. I did have iDrive installed in it slowed the iMac to the point that it was almost unusable. I uninstalled iDrive and deleted it... I thought it was completely gone, but obviously not. I've searched the mac for iDrive and can't find it so I'm not sure how to uninstall it correctly. Do you have any ideas please?

I will download MalWareBytes now and run it.

In terms of the Cisco stuff - to be honest I've no idea what this is. How can I check what this is please?

Thank you!

Nov 10, 2019 10:40 AM in response to Nic-2020

I'm sorry I repeated what my esteemed colleague rkaufmann87 posted. I was called away from the computer while doing my answer and, of course, the forum software doesn't tell us if there has been additional activity until you post. Oh well....he's a good one.

See if this gets the iDrive remnants that remain: https://www.idrive.com/help/Mac/uninstall

If you have deleted the app itself, this may not work so manual instructions are here: https://nektony.com/how-to/uninstall-idrive-on-mac#1

Some people have Cisco on their computers for networking and collaboration projects where Cisco provides the platform for video conferencing. (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/index.html) I've never used it so I would prefer someone with more experience with that company chime in instead of my telling you to toss it out the door.

iMac is running very slow - can somebody please check my EtreCheck report?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.