Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor / Mouse disappearing on Mac

I'm not sure if it's a glitch in the new Macbook update, but every few minutes my cursor on my Macbook Air keeps disappearing. I try moving it around and see the shadow of it moving, but don't see the actual mouse on the screen. The only way for it to reappear again is when I close my laptop and open it again, but then 5 minutes later it just disappears again and the cycle goes on and on.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 4:45 PM

This is happening to me, too, on Macbook Pro 2017, 13 inch. I use three fingers and swipe up and the cursor usually comes back right away. I think it might have something to do with the cursor disappearing when you type, but I'm not sure. It also happens when I switch between desktops.

26 replies

Dec 14, 2019 10:19 AM in response to archanad

archanad Said:

For non techies pls explain how to reset NVRAM. Thanks.

———-

You are welcome.

What to Do:

Hold Down all 4 of these keys simultaneously: [Option Command P R], as depicted by Apple, here.

When to Hold them Down:

• If your Mac has a chime upon boot, hold it down right when and while you hear the chime (not before the chime).
  • If your Mac does not have a chime upon boot, hold them down right after you boot

How Long to Hold them Down:

The Mac may restart itself a couple of times during this. This is intended. So, hold the. down until you get to the login screen, it might taken15 or 30 seconds.

Nov 30, 2019 9:00 AM in response to tinashempa

tinashempa Said:

The exact same thing is happening to me - when I switch between desktops/apps. I have to use three fingers to swipe up too and it appears again. How can this be solved?!

———-

Report this to Apple as a Bug Report:

Inform them of what you come across and how you’ve gone about troubleshooting it, thus far. They more feedback they receive of a particular report, the more they’ll know look into it, hopefully resulting in an update:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: Bug Report as the “Feedback Type
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

Feb 5, 2020 3:01 PM in response to Campvan

Campvan Said:

"My laptop has been doing that too! So frustrating! The way I get my cursor back is to push F3 then you can see where it's at on your desktop. Otherwise, no permanent fix that I know about. Grr!"

-------

Did you try a NVRAM Reset?

I mentioned it in my prior reply. Give it a Go:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250840508?answerId=251600050022#251600050022

Nov 10, 2019 5:25 PM in response to Olivia0614

Olivia0614 Said:

"Cursor/mouse disappearing on Macbook Air: I'm not sure if it's a glitch in the new Macbook update, but every few minutes my cursor on my Macbook Air keeps disappearing

-------

Try This: Reset the NVRAM. Sometimes, when performing upgrades, the NVRAM becomes manipulated, technically. So reset the NVRAM. All should be back to Normal, afterwards.

Nov 13, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Olivia0614

I have had the same problem, but I just noticed it today. I updated my Mac last night. I've found that it disappears while typing, and when that happens just moving it will make it come back. Other times, it disappears when I switch between open windows. I've found that if I move the mouse up to the menu bar and click in the middle, it will reappear. That's the only way I've figured out to fix it so far. I've also seen twice that the mouse gets frozen where it is, but usually if I shake it around it will eventually start moving again (I think this is also connected to the menu bar, moving the "shadow" up there seems to help.)

Mar 24, 2020 2:49 PM in response to staceyfhayden

staceyfhayden Said:

i keep trying this but it opens a print window. Can you please help? Is there another way to reset the NVRAM?

———-

Please Clarify: What do you mean by “print window”.

Can you take a picture of this using your iPhone (or another device) and attach it as a reply to this post?

The NVRAM is reset upon boot; not while you are logged in. So shut down the Mac, and then reset the NVRAM upon boot.

Use this Link: Reset the NVRAM. Sometimes, when performing upgrades, the NVRAM becomes manipulated, technically. So reset the NVRAM. All should be back to Normal, afterwards.

Dec 30, 2019 2:43 PM in response to TheLittles

I turned out doing what you said to do, TheLittles, and it seems to work and my cursor is no longer disappearing! I also was finally able to successfully update to Catalina. When I did the option+command+p+r, I don't know if I didn't hold it down long enough or what, but it turned out giving me the option to reinstall OS, which sort of surprised me. However, it seems to have worked perfectly, and the hour wait time to upload, fix, etc., was well worth the wait!

So appreciate helpful people like you! And your hyperlink to NVRAM that you posted on 11/10/19 was what helped the most.

Thank you, thank you! :)

Mar 2, 2020 3:04 AM in response to Olivia0614

This can be a universal issue on multiple Mac computers and laptops.

If you own a laptop, shake the mouse or trackpad.

Perform right-click.

Try to bring Mouse Pointer to Dock.

Use Mission Control:

For this purpose - Click the Mission Control key (F3) from top row or Touch Bar

Press Control + Arrow up key

Swipe up from four (or three) fingers on Trackpad

Switch to Different App or Finder to Relocate Hidden Mouse Pointer

Open the Force Quit Menu

Restart Mac

You can perform above solutions on your Mac, and if they don't work you can ask for some long-term solutions to fix the issue.

Cursor / Mouse disappearing on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.