Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari - huge delays trying to do file uploads

For the last couple of months every time I try to use a directory style upload (drill down or just go to desktop and see files) I've started getting huge delays where it takes up to 10-20 seconds to be able to click or select an item (even cancel) Example - upload a photo to Facebook. You would normally just click a couple times quickly and it's done - instead it might take me 3 minutes to accomplish the same thing, getting stuck at each directory level.

I've tested this in Chrome and Opera and it's not a problem.

I've disabled all extensions and no help. Any ideas? Safari Version 13.0.3 Mojave 10.14.6 2019 IMac 3.7 GHz 64GB

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 10:25 AM

UPDATE - SOLVED

Not sure the exact solution, but the issue has resolved. After leaving Safe Mode and rebooting I quit a ton of Safari windows (particularly Facebook) which were suspected Webkit memory hogs. I had previous quit Safari a few times before but never eliminated windows. Now I'm 100% convinced it was Webkit+hog websites = slow hanging processes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 10:25 AM in response to igirl1

UPDATE - SOLVED

Not sure the exact solution, but the issue has resolved. After leaving Safe Mode and rebooting I quit a ton of Safari windows (particularly Facebook) which were suspected Webkit memory hogs. I had previous quit Safari a few times before but never eliminated windows. Now I'm 100% convinced it was Webkit+hog websites = slow hanging processes.

Nov 11, 2019 2:26 PM in response to igirl1

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Nov 12, 2019 6:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks - It's fine on my blank Admin account (I already had set up) - so something to do with the particular Safari user account.

Pastebin Etrecheck report (good for 2 weeks)

In the old days we used to just go in and trash the prefs file if something started misbehaving - not sure if this would help in this case or not? I recently installed a Safari update which didn't fix it.

On a side note - Webkit is killing my RAM - it's certain websites but not sure how to stop them from gobbling up memory.

Safari - huge delays trying to do file uploads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.