Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 4.0.2 can't select files, but FireFox works

I've noticed for some time (weeks if not months) that I can't upload files using Safari 4, this is from a number of websites. But it works when using the latest FireFox, exact some site trying to access the same file.

Basically click on the 'upload' button and nothing happens, no window to my Finder opens, nothing.

Yes I have Java and Javascript installed if this makes any difference.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 9:15 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 26, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Craig Best

To fix this problem download Mojave from the Download OS section on this page: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

This will re-install Mojave and reset Safari back to version 12. All files and configurations are retained though you will have to re-install Java if you use this.

Once Mojave boots up after you have reinstalled it, click on System Preferences > Software Updates and download all security updates but untick the Safari 14.0.1 and 14.0.2 updates to avoid reinstalling the file upload bug.

Jan 20, 2021 5:53 AM in response to Craig Best

Assuming you are actually using Safari 14.0.2 and assuming you are running macOS Mojave (10.14) this is a known issue. The only workaround is to ‘drag and drop’ your files on the upload window. Only Mojave appears to exhibit this issue. Things work as intended on Catalina and Big Sur.

As for a fix, no one knows if or when but I would assume you’ll have to wait for the next Safari update.

Safari 4.0.2 can't select files, but FireFox works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.