Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro 12.9 bending issue

Dear Apple,

So, I purchased my ipad pro back in June 2019 from Valge Klaar, “official repair and distributor” in Estonia. Had the smart keyboard cover on the whole time, never used it without it, only carried in laptop case, had zero scratches or anything. After just 2.5 months of use I was looking at it and thought my eyes were playing tricks - the device was visibly bent in the middle where the pencil is being attached. Took it to the store and was told by the cheerful sales assistant that this problem is very common, they receive multiple request, but the problem is that Apple doesn’t want to take responsibility for this so they can’t do anything. Being baffled by this and the idea that I paid nearly $1600 in total for a slightly larger ipad, I demanded some action being taken, then the customer service representative started accusing “perhaps you bent it yourself” and other bollocks I was surprised to hear from a premium device dealership, but anyway. They took it in for “check if anything is wrong with the battery”. I have to mention, they took the device without signing me off out of it, because the device was failing to do so - claiming my password was incorrect or whatever (we tried changing it few times, it failed).

Few days later I receive an email saying they witnessed the device has obviously fallen (where?) and they offered me 700 euro replacement, because I didn’t have AppleCare+ purchased. When I requested to know where exactly has the device that has zero dents or cracks - fallen, my questions were left unresponded. I wrote about my issue to the upper management of Valge Klaar who promised to help with the issue and lacking customer support, but few days later, again, they came with a solution that since it’s not a software issue - they can only offer 700 euro replacement.

I went to pick it up and what I receive back was a device that wasn’t even cleaned free of fingerprints while passing it over to me - they do that in cheap over the corner mobile services. I took it back, an hour later as I came home and was wiping it clean - I notice the device has a 1mm crack all along between the screen and the aluminum side, right where the pencil charger side is. The problem is, it wasn’t there when I gave it for checkup. It was documented that my device had “minimal signs of usage” when I handed it over to the official retailer. I emailed them about this, along with pictures, and my email were left unanswered for about a month until I contacted again. What I received since was very rude and unhelpful service, claiming I want free devices and what not. But most importantly, they said that they didn’t do absolutely anything with the device when they had it for check up. My further requests of explanation were left rudely unanswered, and here I sit with a device that is not only bent, but has also a visible crack that annoys me every day as I use it.

I cannot accept it as “normal sign of usage” or “it’s made of aluminum, it will bend”. I paid above average price for an Apple device that supposed to offer above average quality. The issue with this particular device is that it doesn’t bend at the bottom or the sides, it only bends where the ipencil magnet is (and I can do it with very light force, especially if it has heat up) - all the other corners are very hard and sturdy. Which leads to another issue - if I am using it in smartcase ONLY, I have to hold it somehow, which I do in the middle. And I have to open it somehow, which happens to be the middle part where the ipencil magnet is. And that is exactly where it bends. I find myself, anxiously, trying not to touch the middle part and pull the corners to open it. Because if I forget, the device bends again! IT IS NOT NORMAL!

I’ve been devoted user of Apple products, i’ve had all other ipads from previous generations. They had never bend in their life. I paid insane amount of money for this device. I would never have such issues with some cheap *** Lenovo tablet.

Please explain!

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 5:56 AM

1. Well.. is Apple certified support centre damaging my item - an accident? According to EU laws, when I hand my device over for a repair, it is under the responsibility of whoever agreed to take it in for repair/check. The damage that I can accept is “battery damage”, “loss of data on device” etc, but not tweaking a device into a condition it wasn’t in in the first place.

2nd. No device should bend like that. That is not “accidental” damage. That is cheap manufacturing materials and it is fully Apple’s responsibility. Because I know for certain, I babied this device as I can and used it in the same way I am used to using and carrying my other Mac laptops, ipad and ipad minis, none of them done that. This issue has to be dealt with since I’m not the only person dealing with it and the customer service girl at the support centre even confirmed it. I even had the whole conversation filmed just in case, if somebody does not want to believe me.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 5:56 AM in response to QuickPost

1. Well.. is Apple certified support centre damaging my item - an accident? According to EU laws, when I hand my device over for a repair, it is under the responsibility of whoever agreed to take it in for repair/check. The damage that I can accept is “battery damage”, “loss of data on device” etc, but not tweaking a device into a condition it wasn’t in in the first place.

2nd. No device should bend like that. That is not “accidental” damage. That is cheap manufacturing materials and it is fully Apple’s responsibility. Because I know for certain, I babied this device as I can and used it in the same way I am used to using and carrying my other Mac laptops, ipad and ipad minis, none of them done that. This issue has to be dealt with since I’m not the only person dealing with it and the customer service girl at the support centre even confirmed it. I even had the whole conversation filmed just in case, if somebody does not want to believe me.

Ipad Pro 12.9 bending issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.