Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard input error noise in fullscreen video

Hi,

Lately when viewing fullscreen video in safari, any keyboard input functions but makes an error noise when it does so. For example when watching a youtube video, pressing "M" while in fullscreen will mute the video but there will be an error noise. This does not happen when not in fullscreen. Is there a fix for this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 1:34 AM

4 replies

Nov 12, 2019 4:22 PM in response to Azure456

It's happening for me today. All YouTube media keys, like arrows, work in fullscreen mode but simultaneously make an error noise. In non-fullscreen view, there is no error noise.

I've no idea how to debug this. I looked at the debug console of Safari and don't see any unique errors. I've been on Catalina for a few days now and don't think this happened until today, so maybe it's YouTube's fault.

Nov 13, 2019 4:30 PM in response to Azure456

I have this very exact problem on Mojave, Pressing any key-input except space makes an audible error (Funk Sound Effect). It also continues to play if "Play user interface sound effects" is disabled in the MacOS sound menu.

I think it's a problem with safari not recognising YouTube's full screen context is interactive, Or YouTube broke something on user interface feedback.

MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave with Safari 13.0.3 On Youtube.com

Dec 18, 2019 10:49 PM in response to Joe Murphy

MacOS 10.15.2 with Safari 13.0.4 On Youtube.com.

Happened to me too today, but what's odd; I went over to Chrome with the same YouTube video and attempted to duplicate the error noise issue - no dice. And what's even odder, I then went back to Safari to the same video and hit "f" to enter full screen and then "k" to pause, and it resolved itself! No more noise. Very odd behavior.

Keyboard input error noise in fullscreen video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.