Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning on Apple TV with HomeKit does not turn on TV

When I turn on the Apple TV with a remote control, the attached TV turns on (Samsung UHD 7 series, FWIW). When I do the same via HomeKit, the TV does not turn on. I've updated everything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 3:21 PM

I found my problem: the Apple TV in question was logged into iCloud with another Apple ID. Just selecting the right user in the recently-introduced multi-user selection doesn't do it; you actually have to log out and back in with the same Apple ID used everywhere else. I kinda knew that, but forgot in the heat of the battle.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 3:21 PM in response to pkeller1

I found my problem: the Apple TV in question was logged into iCloud with another Apple ID. Just selecting the right user in the recently-introduced multi-user selection doesn't do it; you actually have to log out and back in with the same Apple ID used everywhere else. I kinda knew that, but forgot in the heat of the battle.

Nov 12, 2019 6:27 AM in response to pkeller1

Update: Curiouser and curiouser... When I give the Siri command on my iPhone, "Turn on the TV in xxx", it works perfectly. But not so if I punch the button in the Home app on my iPhone. And the button on my Apple Watch has a red note, "No Response"; I get a similar response if I give a Siri command on my Apple Watch. And, in trying all this out, I suddenly would get an access code displayed on the TV in question, to be entered on my other Apple TV, which is serving as HomeKit hub (which got me trotting upstairs and downstairs a few dozen times - who says these devices are making us lazy? ;-) Anybody have a clue of what's going on??

Nov 12, 2019 6:39 AM in response to pkeller1

Yet another update: punching the buttons in the Home app, either on the iPhone or on the Apple Watch, appears to be interpreted as "Stop / Resume", not "On / Off". Which probably explains why the attached TV does not come on. So I guess that works as designed. What I still don't understand is why the Siri command "Turn on the TV in xxx" works on my iPhone, and not on my Apple Watch.

Turning on Apple TV with HomeKit does not turn on TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.