Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play explicit podcasts in Catalina

Since updating to Catalina I can no longer play any podcast which is listed as explicit. I get the following message:

Podcast Contains Explicit Content

To subscribe to this podcast, allow explicit content now or under Screen Time in the Settings app at any time.

In Screen Time, I have tried ticking 'allow for podcasts' and have now turned off all 'Content & Privacy Restrictions'. The same message comes every time I try to play an explicit podcast. I can't even subscribe to a podcast listed as explicit.

I have restarted the computer and apps, and tried multiple times.

This is incredibly annoying! Please advise!

ps. The podcasts can play on my phone through podcasts.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 5:16 AM

I am experiencing this exactly. I didnt have any restrictions on to begin with. Firstly turning them on didn't even work. It asked me to enter the passcode and then nothing happened. After a few tries, it worked.

Allowed explicit everything, yet it does not allow me to play that podcast. I have tried quitting the Apple Podcast app, and system preferences, I have tried switching what country for the ratings, and I have restarted my computer, yet it just does not allow me to play. I tried enabling and disabling the same settings on my iPhone, and there it works. Just not on macOS 10.15.2 (19C57).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2019 5:16 AM in response to Luigi147

I am experiencing this exactly. I didnt have any restrictions on to begin with. Firstly turning them on didn't even work. It asked me to enter the passcode and then nothing happened. After a few tries, it worked.

Allowed explicit everything, yet it does not allow me to play that podcast. I have tried quitting the Apple Podcast app, and system preferences, I have tried switching what country for the ratings, and I have restarted my computer, yet it just does not allow me to play. I tried enabling and disabling the same settings on my iPhone, and there it works. Just not on macOS 10.15.2 (19C57).

Can't play explicit podcasts in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.