Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passwords disappearing from a keychain

Hello,

I have a custom keychain for several years now which was working just fine until upgrade to Catalina (and also upgrade to 10.15.1). Every time I open Security Preferences a window pops-up saying "Reminders wants to use the <name> keychain." and several passwords disappear from the keychain. I tried recreating the keychain from scratch but no luck (please see the attachments).

1. custom keychain with passwords

2. opening System Preferences

3. password disappeared from the keychain

Can anybody please help with it, as this make custom keychain completely unusable?

Regards,

Svetomir

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Dec 19, 2019 2:42 PM in response to svetomir

I also get this prompt and also have the issue with keychain internet passwords being deleted (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250722178). I just wanted to also note that I can't dismiss the "Reminders would like to use..." prompt. If it is cancelled, it just asks again until it is granted.

I considered removing the Reminders app completely since I don't use it but it "can't be modified or deleted because it's required by MacOS". I assume I could disable System Integrity Protection to remove it but it'd probably just get restored in the next update.

Jan 14, 2020 1:36 AM in response to svetomir

I have the same issue under Catalina 10.15.2: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250948138

I called Apple Support without success, the problem is not fixed

PAY ATTENTION APPLE : Erasing secure and protected data by an unauthorized application is a very serious problem. This is more than a security breach, it is a system attack that erases sensitive user data in violation of data protection laws.

Feb 1, 2020 7:05 AM in response to LD150

peter_watt wrote:

Yes that is the standard Apple support article. The word custom is not there. Where does it say how to create a custom keychain?

If the concept is no longer supported, or never was supported outside the Hackintosh community, I wonder if that is the problem. Just asking.

I don’t have a Catalina system handy to check, but the new-keychain option has been in the menus for aeons.

Here’s the API documentation:

https:https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2326/_index.html

Here’s a discussion of standard and non-standard keychains;

Copy keychains to another Mac - Apple Support

Creating and using a new keychain to avoid polluting your day-to-day keychains:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2326/_index.html

As for the original question, I don’t know. Best guess is that there’s a skew, or a bug involving Reminders. Why Reminders is even looking in that Keychain? Apple—who do not necessarily read and very seldom (ever?) reply to bug reports here—will have to sort this, and you’ll probably have to work around this pending a fix.

Feb 1, 2020 1:44 AM in response to moi160

Catalina 10.15.3 has just been released but does not fix the bug.

Despite many discussions on the forums dealing with this problem, Apple remains deaf.

I contacted Apple support and opened a complaint file;

I contacted Apple product security and provided the information;

I contacted Apple Feedback assistant and opened a comment;

What else can i do?

I have received no response from Apple, not even information that the problem is under investigation. It is serious, very serious, not to be able to guarantee the security of personal data and worse to seem to ignore it!

APPLE DO YOU HEAR THIS?

Feb 1, 2020 2:03 AM in response to moi160

"....APPLE DO YOU HEAR THIS?...."

APPLE AIN'T HERE!

There is little response on this relatively esoteric problem and I can't find any supporting informaton on Apple Support on custom keychains. Just some strange videos on Youtube along with the life hacks.

So I wonder why do you need custom keychain and where did you get the instructions to create one?

Feb 1, 2020 8:37 AM in response to LD150

peter_watt wrote:

Yes just checked - there's a New Keychain and also an Add Keychain in the menu.
Personally I wouldn't dare!

I have several restored keychains around secondary to a recovery from a previous macOS corruption.

Separately, corrupted Keychains arose a while back, for some folks involved with a particular configuration and with particular early software. That was remediated.

They’re quite useful for segmenting secure info (passwords, certs, notes), and sharing that info across disjoint Macs. That tech note aside is not far off of a fairly common usage.

It works. I’ve also not seen the corruptions being reported here, though my local configurations are undoubtedly different.

Passwords disappearing from a keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.