Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still no support for VP9 and 4k content on Safari

There is, frustratingly, still no VP9 codec support for Safari. Videos streamed through Safari appear to support 1080p at maximum despite 1440p and 2160p support being available.

Searching through this community reveals a query raised over 4 years ago (Jun 2015) with the same issue.

Why is there still no VP9 codec or 4k payback on Safari in 2019?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 10:15 AM

Google claimed in a developer article on their website that will refrain from encoding in H264 in favor of VP9 codec. Their VP9 codec is said to be more downstream efficient and/or friendly. This move also means that will make some significant room on their server storage as they don’t need to keep several encoded variants of the same video.

Meanwhile, other third party web browsers like Firefox for example, embraced the VP9 codec and 4K video streaming seems to be working great, if your IP’s download speed is no less that 15 mb/s.

In conclusion it appears “someone” doesn’t want to shake hands in making a deal favorable for the end user. Suggesting you would rather adopt whatever lets you enjoy your 4K streaming content w/o fuss.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 10:15 AM in response to CPTRobert

Google claimed in a developer article on their website that will refrain from encoding in H264 in favor of VP9 codec. Their VP9 codec is said to be more downstream efficient and/or friendly. This move also means that will make some significant room on their server storage as they don’t need to keep several encoded variants of the same video.

Meanwhile, other third party web browsers like Firefox for example, embraced the VP9 codec and 4K video streaming seems to be working great, if your IP’s download speed is no less that 15 mb/s.

In conclusion it appears “someone” doesn’t want to shake hands in making a deal favorable for the end user. Suggesting you would rather adopt whatever lets you enjoy your 4K streaming content w/o fuss.

Dec 27, 2019 12:49 PM in response to CPTRobert

I have been communicating for a few days now with YouTube purchase support, since I've noticed sudden playback change from UHD to HD on my preferred web browser, Safari. I guess the change took some time to catch on. I noticed that Firefox will not play any of my movie purchases even in HD, but in SD (480p). On the other hand, Safari won't play any YouTube UHD video content anymore, but Firefox will, even in 8K. See video player setting screenshot below in Firefox:

This the latest, most important part of the conversation from purchase support that I got today. They've been nice and supportive in explaining the compatibility issues to me; so, there is a workaround to this:

"...

There are some devices that you will only enjoy watching the movie on it's highest quality. HD will always be available to watch on:

The latest version of the YouTube mobile app

Select 2013 and newer smart TV models

Android TV

Chromecast

Apple TV

Xbox One and Xbox 360

PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3

Roku

Therefore, it will not work on the quality you paid for or you want on your computer.

"

Regards.

Still no support for VP9 and 4k content on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.