Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers will no longer open or save documents

I created a new spreadsheet in numbers, and when I tried to save it I got this error message "the file can't be opened numbers could not read file"

Then when I tried to open other spreadsheets I get the same message.

I have macOS Catalina 10.15.1 and Numbers 6.2

Help!!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 9:24 AM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2019 5:28 PM in response to nljohnson

The issue appears to be a bit deeper in the OS than what can be 'permanently' cured by a restart or even a start into Safe mode.

More information on page 3 of this longer thread dealing with the same issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250815175

After reading the message marked "Helpful", click the link to "Read all messages" and go to Page 3. See the December 15 post by BDAqua for more information.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 16, 2019 1:53 PM in response to shelia87

Numbers has been a mess since I "upgraded" to Catalina. Tried everything suggested...sometimes it clears up for a day or two and then it is back....right now, I can't save my Numbers spreadsheet. Also, had a problem with TurboTax, which I have been using for over 15 years, with no problems...suddenly I can't open my old TurboTax files. Ready, Fire, Aim....must be Apple's new slogan in App development.

Numbers will no longer open or save documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.