Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not Appearing in Finder Sidebar in Catalina.

On my computer this works fine, but on my wife's iMac her iPhone and iPad do not appear in the Finder Sidebar. CDs DVS and iOS Devices is checked in the finder preferences. I rebooted the iMac, and the iPhone to no avail. I also tried deleting the finder preferences file, and that did not help either. The iMac, iPhone and iPad are all running the latest updates.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 7:09 AM

My devices seemed to disappear from the Finder and I found that I had clicked on the "Hide/Show" button which is invisible and to the right of the "Favorites", "ICloud", and "Locations" setting in the Finder sidebar.

The "Hide/Show" button describes an action for the devices below it. If you press "Hide" it will hide all the devices under the general category. I pressed "Hide" for "Locations" by mistake and my hard drive, external drives, and iOS devices were then hidden. Once I clicked the "Show" button they reappeared.

User error, simple solution, in my case no need to zap the PRAM or go into Recovery Mode.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2019 7:09 AM in response to gbol

My devices seemed to disappear from the Finder and I found that I had clicked on the "Hide/Show" button which is invisible and to the right of the "Favorites", "ICloud", and "Locations" setting in the Finder sidebar.

The "Hide/Show" button describes an action for the devices below it. If you press "Hide" it will hide all the devices under the general category. I pressed "Hide" for "Locations" by mistake and my hard drive, external drives, and iOS devices were then hidden. Once I clicked the "Show" button they reappeared.

User error, simple solution, in my case no need to zap the PRAM or go into Recovery Mode.

iPhone not Appearing in Finder Sidebar in Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.