Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't is use iDVD to burn on a DVD-RW disk?

I 2012 I used iDVD to burn several slideshows and movies onto DVD-RW disks, and they all play just fine on my Sony DVD player. I now have a new project in iDVD but when I burned the movie it went through all of the steps and verified the disk; however, when I tried to open it on my Mac, it openedwith Libre Office. What on earth is going on? Must I use a DVD-R disk? I have several blank DVD-RW disks and would like to use them up. Thanks for any help you can provide.

iMac 21.5", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 9:12 AM

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.  

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it.  If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality.  Always use top quality media:  Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

-RW discs are not of a high enough quality needed for video DVDs. They are geared more for data discs. You can try burning at the slowest speed possible to provide the best burn possible.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2019 9:12 AM in response to Calcharmac

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.  

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it.  If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality.  Always use top quality media:  Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

-RW discs are not of a high enough quality needed for video DVDs. They are geared more for data discs. You can try burning at the slowest speed possible to provide the best burn possible.

Nov 17, 2019 7:17 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, Old Toad, for all of your suggestions. After some more research, I've discovered that the m4v file I was attempting to add to my DVD project was the cause of my problem. I had created a slideshow on Photos using the Ken Burns theme. I then exported it and it became a m4v file; however, the DVDs I had produced in 2012 also used m4v files, and there was no problem. Has something changed in iDVD that will no longer allow the insertion of a movie? Is it possible to just burn the movie to a DVD-RW or DVD-R without using iDVD?

Nov 17, 2019 12:06 PM in response to Calcharmac

Calcharmac wrote:
Is it possible to just burn the movie to a DVD-RW or DVD-R without using iDVD?

You can but you won't be able to play it on a TV set. You need a video DVD authoring app to create a video DVD. If you're just using a video file then there are a number of DVD authoring apps available at the App Store. Some have demo versions (a watermark is added to the video) you can try before purchasing. The also will save to a disk image, iso or dmg. That way you can test the encoding before burning.

Why can't is use iDVD to burn on a DVD-RW disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.