Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems burning DVD from Final Cut Pro

I've been trying to burn a DVD from Final Cut Pro but it just won't work. Every time I try it looks like it's working but it gets about halfway through writing and then stops and nothing happens. I've tried burning it directly to my external DVD burner several times, and I've tried exporting it as a disc image to my hard drive and to my external hard drive several times too (both have plenty of free space). I've tried rebooting the computer and disconnecting connecting devices. I updated FCP to the latest version and that didn't help either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am using FCP 10.6.5 on a Mac Studio (Monterey 12.3.1). Here's a screenshot of the DVD export screen in FCP...

Alternatively, is there any other way of burning a video DVD from my Mac without paying for additional software?

Thank you

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 5:26 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 25, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Bub1981

There is a free program called Burn. Itcan make a video DVD. You could export a movie out of FCP and try using Burn to make a DVD. Be sure to choose video DVD and not data; the latter would make a DVD with your movie file in it, and would not play in regular DVD players.

When the export stops, is it at 66%?

That is when the data compression is done and the creation of the actual disc starts. In some cases, the embedded Create Disc application fails to launch and the whole process stalls.

One possible workaround is to manually launch the Create Disc application ahead of time. Now this is embedded deep inside the FCP application bundle. If you want to try it, I can later look for it and tell where it is and how to manually launch it.

Mar 27, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Bub1981

Sounds like you have determined a software or media issue which is great. Please still keep in mind the other information I provided as that is still relevant.

In order to find your problem area of your movie project, there is a concept of "delete half and half" that I've used for years to quickly find your problem. As long as your whole movie project is saved in its current broken state, you can just delete the first half of the time line and then try to export the last half. If the export still doesn't work, then revert back to your saved project or undo the delete and then delete the second half of your video time line. If it now exports you know where your problem is. You can do the same process to the back half of the video project until you find the actual area or transition, audio file or effect that is preventing the entire project from exporting properly. Fix that issue or rebuild it and Voila problem solved.

Todd Derek | Apple Consultant

Mar 25, 2023 8:08 AM in response to Bub1981

The one I remember was free.

I am not at my mac to confirm the exact details but to reach the Create Disc, you’ll have to go to the Applications folder, control-click on Final Cut Pro, and choose Show Package Contents; then drill down a few levels (perhaps needing to do Show Package Contents once more) until you reach a subfolder Embedded Apps with Create Disc inside. Do NOT make any changes inside the application package. Either drag Create Disc to the Dock, or Command-Option-drag to the desktop to make an alias.

Then try launching the Creste Disc app before starting your export.

Mar 27, 2023 2:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you. I downloaded the one you said. The problem is now it's not letting me export the video file from FCP. It doesn't seem to like that it's a long video (65 minutes). It looks like it's working but then I check the export file later and it's only 1mb. The only way I can find to export the video is to set the range to about 15 minutes at a time and that works sometimes but it's not letting me export the last 10 minutes of the film.

Mar 27, 2023 4:34 PM in response to Bub1981

Your issue may be more general than just exporting/burning a disc. Have you checked your boot drive usage, or any drive you have assigned to use with FCP? If you are running out of drive space you might see similar behavior. Also, make sure any external drive is formatted with APFS for SSDs and HFS+ for HDDs. During burning or export, your Project/timeline is rendered and that can quickly add a lot of media to your various drives...

Mar 27, 2023 4:56 PM in response to Bub1981

Thanks for including the screen shots! Here's what I'd recommend...

First, it's important to understand and communicate in your question the difference between DVD-Data and DVD-Video formatted DVD disks. If you want to create a DVD-Video disk that you can put into a DVD video player, and which has a DVD menu system or even simply a way for the user to navigate with their remote to play the one or multiple videos that are on the DVD-Video disk, you must format and prepare the DVD disk in that format.

If you are creating a video in whatever output you want (.mov, .mp4 etc.) as a single digital file, you can export that to your Movies project folder as a flat completed file from what you made from FCP. Then when you insert your blank DVD-Data disk, you can manually copy that file or multiple videos to the disk on your desktop. Then when you eject it, it will burn the data to the disk. This can be transported to any other computer that still has access to a DVD SuperDrive. (Yikes)

One last think to consider is that in your FCP screen shot, you have the output set to your hard drive not a connected SuperDrive. Since the Mac Studio does not come with an internal SuperDrive, perhaps you have the external Apple SuperDrive (MD564LL/A) connected to your Mac Studio (which would also require a USB-C to USB adapter MJ1M2AM/A), there's no trace or mention of an external SuperDrive connected in your screen shots.

Note: In these more modern times, most are exporting to YouTube, Vimeo or other media serving platform in 4K. That way it can be shared to many w/o the use of a DVD disk that scratches and usable by one person at a time.

Apple Consultant | Todd Derek

Mar 27, 2023 5:43 PM in response to Davis_

Thanks for your response. I've checked and my drives are formatted that way. I'm wondering now if the problem is to do with one specific file or effect within the project being corrupted or something. I've narrowed the issue down to a one minute segment of the film. The rest of the film will export if I delete this segment. Now I'm trying to narrow it down further to see which part of this segment is the problem. I wish it would give me some sort of error message to tell me what the issue is and if it's with one particular frame or clip.

Problems burning DVD from Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.