Burn DVD never finishes: waiting for Create Disk to finish

I have a 2023 Mac Mini with an M2 chip, 8 GB RAM, running Sonoma 14.3.1. I want to create a DVD with a 1 GB .m4v video, which I created with FCPX 10.7.1. I tried FCPX's share project to DVD. I selected Output Device to be hard drive, and Build Type to be file. It started processing for a while then stopped progressing at 66%, "waiting for Create Disk to finish." I let it keep running for 2 hours and it never progressed passed that. So then I tried Compressor (v4.7).

I added the same .m4v file to a new batch, selected Create DVD, set the Output Device to be hard drive and the Build type to be file, as before. It progressed for 5 minutes and completed the .m2v and .ac3 files, then stopped progressing with "waiting for Create Disk to finish". I let it run for a couple of hours before quitting it.

I have researched this issue online and found many people have the same problem. I tried all of their suggestions, but nothing works. To me, it seems like this app, "Create DVD" is the problem (I've never found it on my system, and I don't know where it would be.) Does Apple really support DVD/Bluray creation in FCPX and Compressor? Help!

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Mar 29, 2024 9:58 AM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2024 10:45 AM in response to lp10_user

The Create Disc application is embedded inside the Final Cut Pro bundle, so you won't easily find it.

Its full path is (one single long line):

/Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/EmbeddedApps/Create Disc.app/

One thing you can try is this:

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste the full line above.

Drag the Create Disc icon to your Dock.

Start Create Disc manually before you begin the export to DVD in FCP.

No guarantees, but there's a chance this will overcome the failure of FCP to launch Create Disc when it is supposed to.

Mar 29, 2024 2:50 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks! I called Apple support and they were very helpful in fixing the issue. It turns out that I had a problem with one of my USB DVD burners. By shutting down the mac and removing all USB devices, when I brought the mac up again, the issue disappeared! I then added back all the USB devices except the old DVD burner (but including the new one), and it still worked. It's working just as it should now!

Burn DVD never finishes: waiting for Create Disk to finish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.