Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminder app won't upgrade because old Mac can't take Catalina

The new reminders app in Catalina is hobbled and I can't use the new features! When I did my last OS upgrade, it told me that Reminders could not be upgraded because my old Mac Air could not go to Catalina. This is a circular problem. Can't move that old mac to Catalina and this is acknowledged. But can't upgrade Reminders on any new devices because of old Mac. Only solution is to get rid of old Mac Air that works just find for limited tasks? Can I not just remove Reminders from that old computer and have it upgraded on all new devices. Really bad since one of the key features I wanted in Catalina and IOS 13 was the new Reminders app. Any way around this? Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 10:05 AM

So I bit the bullet and called for support. And got a quick and helpful answer! I logged out of iCloud on my old computer. Closed reminders on all devices. When I opened Reminders on my iPhone, there was a new button for "Upgrade" and it offered me the option to "Upgrade Anyways" to the error message about my old Mac Air. This then upgraded Reminders on all other devices when I re-opened the Reminders app. The new Reminders functionality works a little different on IOS and Mac. But new functionality (e.g. grouped tasks) was there on all devices. Then I just logged back into iCloud on my Mac Air and made sure not to connect Reminders to iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2019 10:05 AM in response to Limnos

So I bit the bullet and called for support. And got a quick and helpful answer! I logged out of iCloud on my old computer. Closed reminders on all devices. When I opened Reminders on my iPhone, there was a new button for "Upgrade" and it offered me the option to "Upgrade Anyways" to the error message about my old Mac Air. This then upgraded Reminders on all other devices when I re-opened the Reminders app. The new Reminders functionality works a little different on IOS and Mac. But new functionality (e.g. grouped tasks) was there on all devices. Then I just logged back into iCloud on my Mac Air and made sure not to connect Reminders to iCloud.

Nov 16, 2019 8:56 AM in response to IBPLD

Interesting. That is completely new. Many people at first were complaining they didn't notice the warning when upgrading iOS to 13 and then their Reminders would no longer work on their computer and only on their iPhone. It's nice to see Apple has made this clearer now. Do you really want Reminders to work on your phone and not on your computer? You're going directly in the face of hundreds of posts people made not wanting that maybe two or three weeks ago.

Reminder app won't upgrade because old Mac can't take Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.