Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 16'' I found noise that sound like lighter from speaker

I had already changed a new macbook pro 16'' after I found noise that sound like lighter from speaker when I playing Youtube video, and a one-second noise come out once I click new video. Does anyone this issue, I had tried two Macbook 16'', and . they are all having this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 1:07 PM

Everyone,

I’m at the Apple store in El Paso, and the engineer on the floor said that this is a software related issue— not hardware. I’ve procured four different laptops, and each of them has been plagued with this issue. He said that Apple has been aware of this issue since November 27th, and is working on a software patch to fix this speaker “popping” issue. Please spread the word!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 1:07 PM in response to triple177

Everyone,

I’m at the Apple store in El Paso, and the engineer on the floor said that this is a software related issue— not hardware. I’ve procured four different laptops, and each of them has been plagued with this issue. He said that Apple has been aware of this issue since November 27th, and is working on a software patch to fix this speaker “popping” issue. Please spread the word!

Nov 21, 2019 6:19 AM in response to triple177

Perhaps this is a Second Faulty Device?

If you purchased this from Apple, locate your nearest local Apple Store and take this phone in for a “Genius Bar Appointment". There, it’s hardware and pre-settings would be looked at. So, see if this can be deemed a faulty device.

Also, this might be an issue due to updates and installations of sorts. So, taking it into Apple, see if your sound settings can be reconfigured to how they should be.

Nov 21, 2019 6:21 AM in response to triple177

Hi triple177,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are hearing an unexpected sound from your MacBook speaker while playing videos. I'd like to explore this further.

-Are you hearing this only when you have your volume at a higher level?

-Is this happening with all audio sources, or only when playing YouTube videos?

-Do you have any additional peripherals connected to your MacBook?

-If you were to connect a set of headphones to your MacBook (if available), do you hear that same sound?

I'd like to have you reset the NVRAM/PRAM on your Mac following these steps Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support, as it helps troubleshooting sound issues.

If the issue remains, test a new user account next, to isolate if this is a user-specific issue, or a system-wide issue. Here’s how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support. Based on the results in the new user, you could continue to the section titled 'If the issue doesn't happen in the other account' or 'If the issue happens in the other account' to continue troubleshooting.

Keep me posted.

Regards.

Dec 18, 2019 5:08 PM in response to guitarrap

Perhaps you, guitarrap, have Second Faulty Device as Well?

Take this in for a Genus Bar Appointment: If you purchased this from Apple, locate your nearest local Apple Store and take this phone in for a “Genius Bar Appointment". It's either no more than a software configuration error. If not, it is a hardware issue. What ever the cause, they

ll look at it.

-------

Provide this as Feedback to Apple:

Go Here: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple

-------

If Need be, Reinstall the macOS:

Perhaps the update did not successfully install.

Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

-------

Scan your Mac for Malware: Malicious Software:

Malware is malicious software that makes your device act in a mislead-manor.

Download this: MalwareBytes for Mac. Then update MalwareBytes for Mac and run it. Remove what is found.

Jan 4, 2020 4:21 PM in response to guitarrap

guitarrap Said:

Hi, TheLittles! Thanks for your message. Yes, it's the same fault on the second device.[...] they didn't know any case like mine, but I think they shouldn't hide it, because there are so many people on the Internet and on this official forum that experimented the same issue.[...]

———-

You are welcome. I’m glad it was looked into.

Why to Always Leave Feedback:

The more Apple hears about this and similar occurrences, the more they’ll know what’s going on. So, always report issues using the feedback forums. Apple rarely reads forums on their own time and will. So, always keep that in mind, and indeed follow though with giving the feedback.

For Feedback, always Start at this Link: Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 22, 2019 5:40 AM in response to triple177

Sorry fo cross-posting.

There is a "stupid" workaround: just put an empty mp3 files in background, I mean a long mp3 file of "silence".

If you are lazy like me, this could be automated with crontab that run "afplay" shell command every hour (my mp3 is 1h long), or with automator that run same command.

Losing 1% of cpu, but problem is solved.

Hope that Apple fix this issue with a more elegant solution.

Bye from Italy.

Dec 18, 2019 3:35 PM in response to triple177

Hi, I have the same problem, not only when I stop the music in whatever platform (YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, editing audio in GarageBand...) but also when I am listening to it, it adds bubbles or popping to the music, it's very uncomfortable, and I can't edit audio. I've updated the MacBook Pro 16' to Catalina 10.15.2. and it didn't solve my problem at all. This is the 2nd laptop I have because I replaced the first for the same reason, the speakers. I love everything in this laptop and I am sad because I can't work with it and I have to return it. I wish more communication with Apple and new updates.

Jan 4, 2020 3:09 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi, TheLittles! Thanks for your message. Yes, it's the same fault on the second device. I went to one of the authorized stores of Apple after reinstalling macOS Catalina 10.15.2. and many other ways to solve it I tried, and anything was good to solve it. In In this store they told me they read about it in some websites and they thought it was a software problem. But after all these things tried on my computer, anything solved the issue. Maybe it's something in the drivers that should be updated and we don't have the update of Catalina or maybe it's a hardware problem. I'm sad for that because I am going to give back the device although I am so happy with other things the device can do, but I can't work editing and that's the main reason I bought it. Hope Apple gives more communication and solve the problem. I called a lot of times to Apple support and Apple care and everyone told me that it's strange, that they didn't know any case like mine, but I think they shouldn't hide it, because there are so many people on the Internet and on this official forum that experimented the same issue. Maybe the people who don't see the issue on their laptop aren't using their speakers as well as we do, I don't know.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Jan 5, 2020 4:08 PM in response to triple177

I have a similar problem, which I discovered while using Logic X. When switching through the sample library I noticed that when I played the samples the sounds were accompanied by a low, groaning, grating noise. This noise then appeared in YouTube videos and on Soundcloud. It's so obnoxious it renders the speakers useless. The noise comes and goes. It does not seem to occur when using headphones, but I need to do more testing. It has occurred with volume at slightly less than 50%, and possibly will occur at lower volumes though I haven't tested.

I'm using a brand-new (one-day old) MacBook Pro 16" fully up to date.

Is Apple aware of this problem? Is it a software issue? What are you doing about it? I don't want to return my machine to have occur on a second one.

macbook pro 16'' I found noise that sound like lighter from speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.