Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting pictures from oldest to newest in iMovie

How can I get my pictures to sort correctly in chronological order in iMovie. I'm trying to put a slideshow/video together of a monthlong trip. My workflow is as follows.

1) Read all pictures into Photos. These pictures were taken by 2 iPhones and a Canon.

2) Created a Smart Album.

3) I sorted the pictures by camera "iPhone 6S" and dates the pictures were taken, so I could easily isolate one town at a time.

4) In Photos, I sorted the photos by oldest first.

5) I chose all the best pictures and tagged them as Favorites. Thereby getting my 1000 pictures down to 170.

6) I opened iMovie and started a new project.

7) I dragged the pictures from Photos to "Import Media".

8) All the pictures came in, but NOT in the correct order. Not sure why the order set in "Photos" is not imported along with the pictures.

9) I sorted the pictures using iMovie menus. The order is definitely NOT in order from oldest to newest.

10) I then tried creating an Event first in iMovie.

11) Then sorted the Events

12) My last attempt was to sort the Events by Days using the iMovie menus.

Still not in the correct order. iMovie acually put in todays date with pictures that had been edited in Photos, I guess?

It's a bit maddening as I can look at the meta-data in Photos and see the dates each picture was taken, and they are sorted perfectly in Photos. Seems so basic and simple.

Sorry for the long winded-ness, but trying to be clear. Perhaps I should just use a real editing program?

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 6:01 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 19, 2019 8:31 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich. That workaround seems to work. I did get an error message about .AAE files not being imported.

Looks like these files are created when editing pictures in Photos? I'd hate to lose any of that data, because I did a fair amount of color correction. But, at least the photos are in the right order. I'd have to use the iMovie tools to color correct again. What a trade-off! Any other suggestions that would keep the AAE files?

Nov 19, 2019 7:22 AM in response to mckee77

Hmmmm. You have tried several things with no luck.

In the Photos app you might try selecting a range of pics and doing a File/Export Unmodified Origin/File Name:Sequential to a folder on your desktop and see if that preserves the sequence. You might try this with a test of 4 or 5 photos first. If you export the full 170 pic batch be sure to export them to a desktop folder or your desktop will be inundated with 170 photos and you won't be able to keep them in sequence.

As a workaround, create your slideshow in the Photos app with everything in sequence as you want it. Then export the slideshow to your desktop as a video. Import the video into a newly created iMovie project. There you can add titles and music and edit to a limited extent.

-- Rich

Nov 19, 2019 9:04 AM in response to Rich839

I tried holding down the Option and Command keys while launching iMovie. Then dragged the pictures in from Photos. Same mess. Nothing in order. I may just have to use brute force, or like you had mentioned, use Photos to create the slideshow. At least in Photos, I can edit and also see the pictures full frame. iMovie has such a small viewing area for media, it's difficult to really judge the quality of my pictures.

Nov 19, 2019 9:08 AM in response to mckee77

The .AAE files do contain your edits and are associated with a .jpeg created on an iOS device, as I understand it.

Since you are exporting the photos as a video, not photos, from the Photos app that's probably why the .AAE files are not carrying over. When you look at the slideshow video that you imported into iMovie did the edits carry over?

You might want to post your .AAE question on the Photos for Mac forum and see if any of the experts there can provide more info about whether the .AAE edits will carry over when exporting a slideshow as a video.

-- Rich

Sorting pictures from oldest to newest in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.